Mirza Ghalib, whose contribution to Urdu literature was perhaps as significant as that of Shakespeare to English, was born in Agra on December 27.
Ghalib was a prominent Urdu and Persian-language poet during the Mughal era.
With his pseudonym (takhal'lus) "Asad" and 'Ghalib, ' he began composing verses at the early age of 10 or 12, infusing a new life into Urdu poetry with his writings.
Putin foe barred from Russian election
Navalny from running but said the "calls for boycott ought to be carefully studied to see if they are breaking the law". Navalny, meanwhile, has been aggressively seeking votes all year, reaching out to the most remote parts of the country.
Today, Mirza Ghalib is more famous for his Urdu ghazals among Urdu scholars than he is for his achievements in Persian. After getting married at the age of 13, he moved to Delhi and settled there with his wife (Umrao Begum) and brother (Mirza Yousuf Khan). And even though the Ghazals are in Urdu, they're so universal in how they deal with Humanity and transcend the language barrier quite easily, without the difficulty of several interpretations.
Ghalib is regarded as the last great poet of the Mughal era; Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar II honoured him with the title of Dabir-ul-Mulk in 1850. One of the recurring themes in Mirza Ghalib's poems is the idea that life is a continuous painful struggle that ends only with life itself. He was also an integral part of the Mughal court. Much of his fame came to him posthumously and in his lifetime, despite his best attempts, he couldn't get the British to restore his full pension.
Ghalib ki Haveli, Old Delhi, is the place where Ghalib spent the last six years of his life till he died on February 15, 1869.
His home in Delhi has been turned into a memorial.
- Chavismo ha liberado a 36 opositores al régimen de Nicolás Maduro — Venezuela
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co (GT) Holdings Raised by WINTON GROUP Ltd
- Le message touchant d'Emma Smet, petite-fille de Johnny Hallyday, pour Noël
- Kim Kardashian Reveals Epic Christmas Present From Kanye West
- Trump retweets image of CNN 'bug' squashed on his sole
- A6 : une voiture roule à contresens, trois morts après un choc frontal
- Tyson Chandler throws down game-winning alley-oop with .6 seconds
- Hundreds killed as monster storm consumes the Phillipines
- Palestinian girl who faced Israeli soldiers remanded for four days
- Séville a tranché et snobe Laurent Blanc — Liga