The seven-night-festival celebrates African-American and Pan-African culture.
LOUIS, Mo. _Today is the first day of Kwanzaa.
Iconic White House Trees to Be Removed
It has been the backdrop of events from state arrival ceremonies and Marine One departures and arrivals to Easter Egg Rolls. The west leader, on the other hand, could possibly be saved for a time, but will eventually succumb to the same fate.
In 2013, Karenga summed up the meaning of the holiday at an event in Rochester, New York, saying "the celebration of Kwanzaa is about embracing ethical principles and values.so the goodness of the world can be shared and enjoyed by us and everyone". The holiday is marked by 7 days of candle lighting to celebrate the 7 principles of the holiday, which CNN notes are "unity (umoja), self-determination (kujichagulia), collective responsibility (ujima), cooperative economics (ujamaa), objective (nia), creativity (kuumba) and faith (imani)". On day one the candle represents Umoja, unity for family, nation and race.
Pronounced "kwahn-zuh", the term - which you can spell Kwanzaa or Kwanza - comes from the Swahili phrase "matunda ya kwanza", which means "first fruits".
During the holiday season, Trump has argued he made it OK to wish people a "Merry Christmas" again. Then, on the final day of the holiday, New Year's Day, gifts are exchanged between parents and children, or all who wish to participate.
- New 'King' TV Spot Released For Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Home Prices Jump in October
- Week 17 NFL Survivor Pool Picks 12/26/17
- " "La présidentielle " légitime " malgré l'absence de l'opposant Navalny — Russie
- Dembélé (Celtic) courtisé par Brighton ?
- Sainte-Anne d'Auray. Un prêtre décède pendant la messe de minuit
- Justine Damond death: Police remove white nationalist memorial
- Privés de visas par l'Arabie saoudite, les joueurs d'échec israéliens s'insurgent
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- 'Doctor Who' Fans Cheer First Female Doctor's Debut