During the Queen's annual Christmas lunch this week, however, this lesser-known royal jumped into the spotlight after showing up to meet Prince Harry's mixed race fiancèe, Meghan Markle with a racially insensitive brooch in an outdated style known as "Blackamoor".
Guess who's coming to dinner - and what she's wearing: Where Princess Michael goes, scandal follows.
Another said: "As a Republican I find the behaviour of Princess Michael of Kent to be obnoxious, outrageous and offensive". The source says she's learned her lesson, and is going to retire the brooch for good.
The princess was photographed arriving at the lunch in a vehicle, where cameras captured the pin on her coat, which Harper's Bazaar reports to be a blackamoor brooch.
The brooch appears to be "blackamoor" jewelry, a kind of jewelry that originated in Venice in the 16th century.
Le tirage du mercredi 20 décembre, 3 millions d'euros — Résultat Loto (FDJ)
Une belle opportunité de mettre du beurre dans les épinards avant les fêtes de fin d'année pour plus d'une centaine de veinards. Nouveau tirage du Loto ce mercredi 20 décembre.
The statement pin, set against Princess Michael's snow white coat, depicted a black figure in a gold robe and headdress.
Given the rising popularity of Prince Harry's bride-to-be, it was only a matter of time before a legion of Meghan Markle doppelgängers went viral.
As for Princess Michael, she's no stranger to this kind of controversy. In 2004, she was accused of telling a group of black people in a NY restaurant to "go back to the colonies".
After moving from her home in Toronto to live with Prince Harry at Kensington Palace in London, England last month, CTV's royal commentator Richard Berthelsen said it made "perfect sense" that she should be invited to celebrate Christmas with the Royal Family, even if it's a first. Hopefully, the rest of her experience wasn't as eyebrow-raising as it must have been when she met with Princess Michael.
Meghan Markle has faced racist attacks during her time in the royal spotlight for some time now. She recently won a Meghan Markle look-alike contest through dating site beautifulpeople.com, and the Internet is taking note. "We've just focused on who we are as a couple".
- Cara Delevingne and Jimmy Choo blasted for 'tone deaf' advert
- 'Frantic Friday': Christmas getaway delays for drivers
- Muore schiantandosi con l'auto contro un muretto
- Un couple d'artistes franco chinois porté disparu après avoir été censuré — Chine
- Watch Anna Faris in the gender role-swapping 'Overboard' remake trailer
- 'Pitch Perfect 3' sends series out on bum note
- OH governor signs Down syndrome abortion ban
- Deputy speaker Lindsay Hoyle's daughter found hanged in bedroom, inquest hears
- Federal Bureau of Investigation deputy director McCabe backs up Comey's 'loyalty oath' claim
- Got the OnePlus 5T? OnePlus 6 already rumoured with in-display fingerprint sensor