A federal lawsuit to be filed on Tuesday on behalf of 9 cities and counties across MI demands pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors and pharmacies to be held responsible for their role in the record level of opioid drug use, death and cost to local and county governments.
In addition to the tragic loss of life, counties and cities across MI have sustained significant costs for providing additional medical care, rehabilitation and treatment for those suffering addiction, dependence, overdose and death; increased law enforcement and public safety personnel; and treatment, care or foster placement for minors suffering from parental addictions.
It equates the distribution systems created by the drug manufacturers and pharmacies to a "pattern of racketeering". Across the country, Americans are addicted to prescription drugs, synthetic opioids, and heroin at levels unprecedented in USA history.
MPs Say The Government Has Been "Unacceptably Complacent" About Soaring Homelessness
Several lawmakers have urged the government "to respond positively and swiftly" to a set of recommendations the report set out. The report concluded that in addition the attitude of the government department has been unacceptably complacent.
The following cities and counties are named as plaintiffs in the lawsuit, but others may be added at a later date: Detroit, Genesee, Grand Traverse County, Macomb County, Saginaw, Delta County, Chippewa County, Lansing and Escanaba.
"Opioids - profligately sold to treat virtually any ailment - have destroyed the lives of countless men and women who had the misfortune of suffering from back pain, arthritis, workplace injuries and a countless array of other relatively minor and term-limited painful conditions", the lawsuit says, according to Michigan Live. A federal lawsuit is being filed against drugmakers, distributors and retailers in response to the opioid epidemic.
The lawsuit demands pharmaceutical manufacturers, distributors and pharmacies be held responsible for their role in the record level of opioid drug use, death and cost to local and county governments.
- Highway Code to be changed to allow remote control parking
- Barcelona star Rafinha to return for El Clasico
- Gujarat Elections: Reason Behind BJP Getting More Votes But Lesser Seats
- The UN Security Council and Israel: A Tale of Two Presidents
- État de droit en Pologne: l'UE déclenche une procédure inédite
- Kaepernick wants in on Diddy's effort to buy the Panthers
- BMW X7, le compte à rebours est lancé
- Mourinho plotting surprise audacious move to snatch Chelsea's star player
- This Is Magic Leap's First Headset
- Is Apple Slowing Down Older iPhones With Degraded Batteries?