Wolf vetoed the bill in Philadelphia City Hall with Mayor Jim Kenney, local legislators and officials, and advocates for women's reproductive rights. He says he doesn't believe the bill's proponents have the votes to override the veto.
"This bill would threaten women's safety and punish doctors for using their best medical judgment", said Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards in a statement responding to Wolf's veto.
The bill also would have effectively banned dilation-and-evacuation, the most common method of second-trimester abortion, opponents said.
Coolio Fears Eminem Will Be Killed Over Dissing Trump
We've heard this one before: same old thing. "Trump is a little bit-he's a weirdo", Coolio began. "Ain't no telling. You know how it is - you make songs, and as you make the new ones, the old ones get old and you throw them out.
Wolf defending his choice saying, "This legislation is a disingenuous and bald-faced attempt to create the most extreme anti-choice legislation in the country", Governor Wolf said.
The bill, passed by the state's Republican-controlled legislature last week, is a "vile assault on women's ability to make their own decisions about their own health care", Wolf, a Democrat, said at a press conference. Michele Brooks called a "dismemberment abortion" during her advocacy for the legislation. The bill would cut off the date to receive an abortion by 20 weeks, it is now 24.
Supporters say the bill would protect the lives of unborn children and protect women from unsafe late-term procedures. "These women are victims and they should not be victimized again by this law".
The Pennsylvania Family Institute said the bi-partisan bill added humane 21st-century updates to Pennsylvania's 28-year-old abortion law. The bill was opposed by the Pennsylvania Medical Society and the Pennsylvania section of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- Orange County hosts Wreaths Across America ceremony at Veterans Memorial Cemetery
- Who Is Santa Claus In 'A Christmas Story Live!'
- Reddit mobile app gets new functionality and mod tools
- McCain says he's feeling well, vows return in January
- MI-8 choppers to be phased out today
- Apple Reaffirms Commitment To Modular Mac Pro
- Hardik Patel says BJP hacked EVMs for Gujarat Elections
- Wall St climbs on rising tax-cut hopes; Nasdaq breaks above 7000
- Tens of thousands protest in Indonesia against US Jerusalem move
- Design of Russian athletes' Olympic kits not yet approved - ROC president