"Following the failure of the Minister of Petroleum Resources, Dr Ibe Kachikwu, to settle the rift between this body (PENGASSAN) and Neconde, the management of PENGASSAN has agreed to start the strike on Monday night (December 18th, 2017)", Mr. Fortune Obi spokesman for the Union said a statement.
The National President of PENGASSAN, Francis Johnson, who announced the suspension of the strike, said it was done in the spirit of the forthcoming yuletide season.
The oil union and Neconde had been embroiled in a crisis over allegation of anti-worker practices by the firm.
But supply of fuel to most fuel stations in Lagos and environs Monday worsened as a result of the industrial action embarked upon by members of PENGASSAN over large scale sack of its members in Neconde Oil Limited.
Bill O'Brien says he won't quit despite Texans struggles
O'Brien has one season remaining on the five-year contract he signed when he became the Texans' coach in 2014. Houston's season collapsed after rookie quarterback Deshaun Watson suffered a season-ending knee injury.
But the minister's intervention did not yield fruits, following which the association declared a formal strike action to commence after 23.59 hours on Monday.
"Prior to the strike, PENGASSAN will hold an emergency Central Working Committee (CWC) meeting on Monday morning, which will be followed with announcement of strike on the night of Monday".
He said that the company has unconditionally agreed to recall all the sacked staff and take steps to allow their employees to be members of the union, adding that the meeting also resolved to address the anti-union posture of other indigenous companies and their abuse of court processes to stall resolution of issues.
"NNPC wishes to state that relevant government agencies are in consultation with industry unions to arrive at an amicable resolution of issues over which there are threats of industrial action", said the state oil company in an emailed statement. It says workers across the country are on standby for the strike to begin.
- Custer park officers anticipate fireplace containment to extend
- Prominent US Judge Retires Amid Sex Misconduct Accusations
- Wall St climbs on rising tax-cut hopes; Nasdaq breaks above 7000
- MI-8 choppers to be phased out today
- Design of Russian athletes' Olympic kits not yet approved - ROC president
- Nova Launcher Prime Down to Just $1 on Google Play
- Orange County hosts Wreaths Across America ceremony at Veterans Memorial Cemetery
- Justin Gatlin embroiled in new doping scandal
- Major League Baseball pitcher Cole Hamels donates $9.75M mansion to charity
- Stifel Financial Corp Acquires 24126 Shares of Monster Beverage Corporation (NASDAQ:MNST)