Sen. John McCain is back home in Arizona recovering from his brain cancer treatment.
McCain left Walter Reed Medical Center "exhausted, but ok", a Republican close to him said. His office says the 81-year-old senator "looks forward to returning to Washington in January".
In its statement on Sunday, McCain's office provided an assessment from Dr. Mark Gilbert, chief of neuro-oncology at the National Institutes of Health's National Cancer Institute.
Republican Sen. John McCain has been treated at a military hospital for a viral infection and is "responding positively" to ongoing treatment for brain cancer.
Earlier Sunday, after speaking with McCain's wife, Cindy, President Donald Trump told reporters that McCain was having a "very tough time".
Danica Patrick, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. end relationship after 5 years
She has competed full time in the NASCAR Cup Series the last five years following a transition from IndyCar. Danica Patrick probably won't be at as many NASCAR races as we were expecting in 2018.
"They've headed back, but I understand he'll come if we ever needed his vote, which hopefully we won't", Trump said after returning to the White House from Camp David.
The passage of the tax bill, however, does not hinge on McCain's support because the GOP has a 52-48 vote advantage in the Senate. Thad Cochran, R-Miss., missed votes last week. The GOP is likely to have enough Republicans to pass the measure.
Republican Sen. Bob Corker's announcement Friday that he would support the plan critical.
McCain will miss the highly anticipated vote on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, expected sometime this week. As a backstop, Vice President Mike Pence would be available to break a tie. If approved, the measure would head to Trump for his signature on what will be his first major legislative accomplishment since taking office 11 months ago.
The sources described McCain as looking increasingly frail and said he has not spoken up in recent GOP meetings the way he had before, in addition to his absence this week for treatment at Walter Reed Medical Center.
- Prominent US Judge Retires Amid Sex Misconduct Accusations
- BerganKDV Wealth Management LLC Increases Holdings in Oracle Corporation (ORCL)
- Grizzly bear hunt banned in all British Columbia
- Remains of ex-Italy king returned from Egypt
- Major League Baseball pitcher Cole Hamels donates $9.75M mansion to charity
- Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola: We can still do much, much better
- Twitter Rolls Out Stricter Rules On Abusive Content
- China: Thousands watch as 10 people sentenced to death
- Huddersfield's Kachunga out for up to three months
- Cubist Systematic Strategies LLC Purchases 25301 Shares of Rio Tinto PLC (RIO)