US President Donald Trump vowed "it won't happen" after North Korean said in January is was in the final stages of developing a nuclear weapon capable of reaching the United States.
United States Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the United States would not accept any.
Because Trump has reacted with such fury to the Stalinist state's missile and nuclear tests, North Korea may have to concede ground over fears the U.S. will "execute a military strike".
Pyongyang "will march forward and make great advancement victoriously as world's most powerful nuclear and military state upholding the line on simultaneous development of the Two Fronts", North Korea's Permanent Representative Ja Song-nam told the Security Council during a session on the threat from his country's nuclear and missile programmes.
He said North Korea won't halt its nuclear and missile programs "while it feels a direct threat to its security" and urged practical steps to de-escalate the situation, including cancellation of planned new U.S. The United States, the European Union, South Korea, Japan and other countries have imposed additional measures. He added that the Trump administration and the worldwide community would continue to pressurize North Korean leader Pyongyang.
He questioned the USA commitment to peace on the Korean peninsula, saying 2 1/2 months of quiet from North Korea was answered by Washington and its allies with unscheduled and unprecedented military exercises in their scale, unilateral sanctions, and a declaration that the North is a state sponsor of terrorism.
"It continues to be a diplomatically led effort", Mattis said.
Tillerson rejected the argument that the U.S. bore any blame and made clear that there would be no let-up in his campaign to squeeze North Korea and steadily choke off its diplomatic channels and means of financial support.
The Ocean's 8 Teaser Gives You Everything You Need in 15 Seconds
The film, featuring a script written by Gary Ross and co-writer Olivia Milch, will hit theaters on June 8, 2018, by Warner Bros . The heist is at the Met Gala, and the players are all your favorite actresses from the past decade.
The White House quickly distanced itself from Tillerson's remarks.
But the top diplomat appeared to soften his stance earlier this week, saying Washington was ready to negotiate with the North without preconditions, following a "period of calm".
"I think what Secretary Tillerson spoke to was we want to have a dialogue with them".
The North Koreans "know where the door is".
Tillerson extended that challenge to other countries that have been slow to fully implement existing resolutions on North Korea, saying that it calls "into question whether your vote is a commitment to words only, but not actions".
China at the meeting warned against "mutual blaming". He noted that after about two months of quiet on North Korea's part, the USA held massive military drills with South Korea and then announced it was placing Pyongyang on a list of state sponsors of terrorism.
It would also have to demonstrate a test of an airborne nuclear ICBM and then launch a missile from a submarine near the US. No one wants to see military force come into play. "This is critical to lower the risk of miscalculation or misunderstanding and reduce tensions in the region".
On top of that, the think tank said, its allies Russian Federation and China could give up on their troublesome friend over fears it may pose a threat to them as well as to their geopolitical rivals.
- Cri d'alarme des hôpitaux publics sur leur situation budgétaire
- Senator Manchin Calls for Franken to Un-Resign
- Honduras. L'opposition rejette la victoire du chef de l'Etat sortant
- " "A coups de marteau, un barbu détruit une statue " nue " (vidéo) — Algérie
- Aéroport de Roissy. Le sans-abri qui a volé 300.000 € reste introuvable
- National gas price average at its lowest point in 110 days
- Land Rover Discovery Commercial On-Sale Now
- Liverpool boss Klopp admits 76 points needed for top-four spot
- 1,3 tonne de cannabis saisis dans un chargement de canapés recyclés — Aude
- Brendon McCullum extends Big Bash League deal with Brisbane