The remains of King Victor Emmanuel III of Savoy, who ruled Italy during the Fascist dictatorship, will be repatriated from Egypt, it ahas been announced ahead of the 70th anniversary of his death.
The remains of his wife, Queen Elena, also returned to Italy on Friday for reburial with those of the king at the Sanctuary of Vicoforte, a monumental church near the Piedmont town of Cuneo, a spokesman for the church said.
Victor Emmanuel III is now resting in St Catherine's Cathedral in Alexandria, Egypt, where he died in exile on December 28, 1947, after his May 1946 abdication.
His 46-year reign ended a month before Italy voted in a referendum to become a republic.
Charlottesville Police Chief Alfred Thomas resigns after criticism over white nationalist rally
Attorney Timothy Heaphy, found police didn't adequately plan for the event despite ample intelligence suggesting a major threat. A woman was killed when a vehicle plowed into a crowd of people who were peacefully protesting the white nationalists.
The grandson of Umberto II, Emanuele Filiberto, told the Italian press recently that he believed the right place for the remains of former Italian kings was the Pantheon in Rome.
"The return of (Victor Emmanuel III)'s corpse to Italy is merely an act of human compassion without public honour", said Grasso.
Italy's post-World War II constitution barred male descendants of the royal House of Savoy from Italian soil as punishment for the family's support of Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini. The ban was lifted in 2002, and moves to bring royal remains back to Italy began in earnest in 2011.
- Tyson Fury Explains Why Wilder Knocks Out Anthony Joshua
- Kim Kardashian on Infamous Sex Tape: 'Don't Be Ashamed'
- Red Sox sign Mitch Moreland to 2-year deal
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Faf du Plessis, South Africa captain, doubtful for inaugural four-day Test
- ThaiBev wins B156bn stake in Vietnam's Sabeco
- Stifel Financial Corp Acquires 24126 Shares of Monster Beverage Corporation (NASDAQ:MNST)
- Wallace: It's Not Crazy for Trump to Be Concerned About FBI Bias
- Danica Patrick, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. end relationship after 5 years
- Why Chick-fil-A Broke Tradition and Opened on a Sunday