NBC paid a significant sum of money to an assistant producer on MSNBC's "Hardball with Chris Matthews" for two decades after she complained that he sexually harassed her, according to The Daily Caller.
An MSNBC spokesman told The Daily Caller that Matthews received a formal reprimand when the woman made the complaint against him. He also hosted "The Chris Matthews Show" on the network after the settlement from 2002 to 2013.
However MSNBC disputes this figure claiming the payment was significantly less and part of a severance package. Based on people who were involved in matter, the network concluded that the comments were inappropriate and juvenile but were not meant to be taken as propositions.
He was formally reprimanded by the network shortly thereafter.
MSNBC declined to comment on whether the employee left because of Matthews or whether this was the only claim in Matthews' history at the company.
Chris Matthews, pictured here in April, has hosted MSNBC's "Hardball with Chris Matthews" since 1997.
'Santa Cop' pairs police with kids to spread holiday cheer
Once each child picked their gifts to give, they brought them back to the community center to wrap them with the troopers. Each child received approximately $100 to spend on gifts. "She's really artistic", her mother Patrice Partlow said.
He is the latest in a string of high-profile men in media to be accused of sexual misconduct, particularly at NBC.
Lauer said in his statement that some of the accusations against him were "untrue or mischaracterized" without explaining further but said that 'there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed'.
Matthews, 71, is married to Kathleen Matthews, a former news anchor, since 1980 and they have three children.
Matthews did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment early Sunday.
- Driver killed in alleged SF firing, massive protests erupt in Kashmir
- Intl Fcstone Inc. Has $2.83 Million Stake in Microsoft Corporation (MSFT)
- 'Venomous' threats made to Ofsted inspector who criticised faith schools
- Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City given fresh Virgil van Dijk encouragement
- Target launching same-day delivery for most stores in 2018
- Man shot in leg after threatening staff with knife at…
- Cold conditions prevail in Punjab and Haryana
- Caterpillar (CAT) Downgraded to "Sell" at Vetr
- Why David Silva misses Manchester City's clash against Tottenham
- Franklin County deputies respond to plane crash near Louisburg