A former IN fertility doctor has pleaded guilty to obstructing justice after he used his own sperm to inseminate patients and lied about it.
Paternity tests performed by the Marion County prosecutor's office in August 2016 showed a 99.9 percent probability that Cline was the father of the two complainants, according to court records.
Dr. Donald Cline, 79 years, was given a 365-day suspended sentence after pleading guilty to two counts of obstruction of justice. Cline had faced up to three years in prison on each count.
In his written response, he denied ever using his own sperm sample for insemination.
Cline said during Thursday's court hearing he was sorry for his actions but only mentioned the names of two women he fathered who first filed complaints with state officials.
Cline told six adults who believed they were his children that he had donated his own sperm about 50 times starting in the 1970s, according to court documents.
L2 (J19) : Reims déroule contre Valenciennes et prend ses distances
Après sa large victoire de samedi après-midi contre Valenciennes (5-1), le leader rémois prend sept longueurs d'avance sur Nîmes. Les Valenciennois sont de leur côté 12e avec 25 points au classement de Ligue 2.
"Not only did Dr. Cline abuse his position of complete trust with his patients, his decisions will have lasting impact through generations of the impacted families", Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry stated after Cline's sentence was announced.
In January 2015, the Indiana Attorney General's Office began to investigate after receiving complaints that Cline had used his own sperm at a fertility clinic, said the statement.
Liz White, a former patient of Clines, told The Associated Press she is disappointed in the verdict.
Donald Cline admitted to lying to investigators after he used his own sperm to inseminate women at his fertility clinic decades ago.
Prosecutors are unable to file additional charges against Cline because there is no law on the books in IN that prohibits fertility doctors from using their own sperm.
A prominent instance in which a fertility doctor secretly used his own sperm was Cecil Jacobson, who may have fathered as many as 70 children from 1976 to 1998 in Vienna, Virginia.
- Modi Announces New Central Schemes For Northeastern states
- These Are the 7 Words the CDC Can't Use
- EPS Forecast Revision Trends: Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI)
- Dan Mullen adds to Florida staff, hiring Tennessee DBs coach
- Vijay Diwas: Nirmala Sitharaman, General Bipin Rawat Pay Tributes To Soldiers
- Caught On Camera: Deputies pull horse from frozen pond
- Who is Sen. Al Franken's replacement, Tina Smith?
- West Ham players face massive pay-cuts if relegated
- Il égorge sa petite amie avant de se pendre — Cavaillon
- Turkey, Russia, Iran back Syria's territorial integrity: Russian FM