Two lesbians from Sydney became the first same-sex couple to marry in Australia Saturday after receiving special permission to Wednesday three weeks before marriage equality takes effect in the rest of the country.
"I don't even know if I'll make it to Christmas, let alone January 9, so they allowed us to get married early", Ms Willow told AAP on Friday.
Lauren Price and Amy Laker, who have been engaged for two years, had set December 16 as the date for their civil ceremony more than a year ago.
Friends and family of the couple flew from around the world to be part of the day.
The crowd cheered when celebrant Janice Bradley pronounced them a married couple. "Congratulations Amy and Lauren", Equal Marriage Rights Australia announced on its Facebook page.
The couple was granted a rare exemption so they could marry more than three weeks before other same-sex couples.
Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
C’est également le cas de l’attaquant de Liverpool Christian Benteke. C’est ce que vous découvrirez dans cet article.
Usually couples have to give a month's notice but were given the go-ahead because Lauren's family were already on their way to Australia from Wales for the commitment ceremony they had originally planned for.
"We went in there and made our case, and the officials left the room to make their decision", Laker told Daily Mail Australia. "It was the longest ten minutes of our lives and Amy cried when they said yes. It's was so wonderful".
It is understood that both couples were granted exemptions on financial grounds.
A same-sex couple in Melbourne was also married today after also being granted an exemption.
It is expected that the next same-sex weddings will take place on 9 January following the waiting period.
- West Brom boss Alan Pardew: Liverpool point can be launching pad
- Lorenzen Wright's ex-wife Sherra charged with his murder
- Super-G : Vonn met fin à sa disette à Val d'Isère
- These Are the 7 Words the CDC Can't Use
- Militant found dead in Tral
- Doctor accused of using own sperm to inseminate patients gets suspended sentence
- Vente aux enchères d'un squelette de mammouth — Lyon
- Le PSG avec la MCN à Rennes
- Incidents à Geoffroy-Guichard, des CRS devant les vestiaires — ASSE
- Funeral of Romania's King Michael draws big crowds in Bucharest