Andrew Cuomo told a female reporter she did "a disservice to women" on Wednesday after she asked what his administration was doing to deal with sexual misconduct in state government.
"I can tell you later in great detail about that if you're interested", Dewitt said.
Cuomo today unveiled the first proposal of the 2018 State of the State: remove all firearms from those who commit domestic violence crimes.
Cuomo, who has been noted as a possible 2020 presidential contender, did not directly answer the question.
Cuomo's proposal comes a week after the House of Representatives passed a bill that would allow owners of concealed-carry permits to transport their guns into any other state, even if those states have more restrictive permitting laws. "Or is this a new fact for you?" he said. Instead, he asked DeWitt how the news industry would respond.
PBS Suspends Tavis Smiley After Sexual Harassment Claims
Variety first reported the news about Smiley, whose show has been aired by PBS since 2004. Walmart is among the sponsors that help fund the show, according to the show's website.
"This year will be remembered as the year of reckoning, when both the tragedy of mass shootings and cultural and institutional harassment of women became impossible to ignore", Gov. Cuomo said. "It's not government. It's society". "It's society. It was Harvey Weinstein in the arts industry, it's comedians, it's politicians, it's chefs". It's societal. It's not one person in one area.
"Building on the Women's Equality Agenda, we are continuing our mission for progressive values and women's rights with this legislation to target the unquestionable relationship between domestic violence and gun violence", Cuomo said. It's not just Matt Lauer, it's not just journalists.
It's true that the problem exists outside of government.
"By requiring agencies to pay the legal fees of those who successfully challenge a (freedom of information law) denial, this new law will make the process more accessible", the Empire Center, a conservative fiscal watchdog group, said in a statement. And just last month, Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin (R) was sanctioned for sexual harassment and can no longer have interns, following a 17-month investigation into his behavior.
- Van Gaal: United Are More Boring Under Mourinho
- Dem Congresswoman: Women Wearing Provocative Clothing Is an 'Invitation to Harassment'
- Official urges expulsion of lawmaker accused of assault
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Peace, Tranquillity Along Border Essential For Smooth Bilateral Ties: India To China
- Patreon scraps new service fee and apologizes to users
- San Francisco mayor Ed Lee died unexpectedly this morning of cardiac arrest
- No drama this time at Katie Taylor weigh
- Bayern Munich's Jerome Boateng considers move overseas
- Here's how analysts see Stryker Corporation (NYSE:SYK) after this past week