The bench comprising five judges-Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, justices D.Y. Chandrachud, A.K. Sikri, A.M. Khanwilkar and Ashok Bhushan has been constituted.
Earlier, the government had set December 31, 2017, as the deadline for providing Aadhaar to financial institutions, which meant that individuals were required to link their Aadhaar to bank accounts, credit cards, insurance policies, equity and mutual fund investments, loan from a bank, housing finance company, and small savings schemes like Public Provident Fund, Kisan Vikas Patra, National Savings Certificate and Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana among others.
The Centre last week informed the Supreme Court that it is willing to extend till March 31 the deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to avail various services and welfare schemes. Several petitioners challenging the validity of Aadhaar had claimed it violated privacy rights.
The government has already lifted the December 31 deadline for the linking of Aadhaar with bank accounts and PAN.
Besides, now for opening a new bank account and for monetary transactions above Rs 50,000, it's mandatory to have an Aadhaar ID card.
Dwayne Johnson On Expecting Third Girl: 'Bring on the Estrogen!'
The ex-wrestler went on to write, " Lauren and I are boundlessly grateful for this blessing as this spring we'll welcome our second baby".
The Attorney General had told the court that no coercive action would be taken against those who do not have the Aadhaar card but are willing to enrol for.
While the linking of Aadhaar with bank accounts and PAN can be extended by an administrative order, the mandatory linking of mobile numbers with Aadhaar would require an order from the top court as it was on its direction that mobile numbers were linked with Aadhaar.
The top court had on December 7 said that a Constitution bench will hear the various plea for interim relief on the mandatory linking of Aadhaar with bank accounts and the Permanent Account Number (PAN).
A notification to link it with bank accounts was later issued on Tuesday by the Department of Revenue under the Finance Ministry.
- Samsung Working On New 'Double-Sided' Display Smartphone
- Bermuda becomes first country to repeal same-sex marriage
- India, China agree peaceful resolution of Doklam reflects their political maturity: MEA
- USA : plusieurs victimes dans une explosion à New York
- ABC pulls 'Great American Baking Show' amid harassment claims against judge
- Fall of US Military Copter Part on Okinawa School Injures a Child
- Whiting Petroleum (NYSE:WLL) Receives "Buy" Rating from KeyCorp
- Victor Oladipo rightfully refutes asinine Paul George comparisons
- NWS issues Lake Effect Snow Warning
- Johnny Hallyday a été inhumé sur l'île de Saint-Barthélemy