Online critics called out the HFPA for ignoring standout female and black directors who deserved the nod.
Greta Gerwig's acclaimed movie Lady Bird is no longer the best reviewed movie of all time on Rotten Tomatoes. However, Mary J Blige, who played a crucial role in the film, has been nominated for Best Performance by an Actress In A Supporting Role. Get Out is also a contender in the latter category, and lead actor Daniel Kaluuya earned a Best Actor nomination. Metcalf was twice nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a TV Series as Jackie Harris on "Roseanne".
The lack of women director nominees comes as a disappointment after people have pushed for more diversity-and gender equality-in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against powerful men in Hollywood.
The Google Assistant is Coming to Tablets and Android 5.0 Lollipop Phones
This meant one whole heck of a lot of Androids had access to The Google Assistant - and now the company is expanding further. But with today's rollout, Google is bringing Assistant to Android tablets running Android 7.0 Nougat and 6.0 Marshmallow.
Here they are: Guillermo del Toro (Shape of Water), Martin McDonagh (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri), Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk), Ridley Scott (All the Money in the World), Steven Spielberg (The Post).
Lady Bird is loosely based on Greta's own coming-of-age, with the film centering around a high school senior's turbulent relationship with her mother. "The film's nomination that's really her nomination and so well-deserved".
The biggest sting for Lady Bird fans is that he's not even being mean, just honest.
- Mets, reliever Anthony Swarzak agree on 2-year pact
- 80-year-old deli clerk fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Senior UN official leaves North Korea after rare visit
- Carillion's Serco deal aimed at reducing debt
- Man flu may be real, study shows
- Chelsea must secure top-four finish, says Conte
- Cardinals acquire Marcell Ozuna from the Marlins
- Kim Rusk animera Le retour des Fantastiques
- ACA open enrollment period nears end
- KONAMI Reveals Single Player and Beta Details for Metal Gear Survive