The touchdown was Landry's seventh of the season. But a pair of penalties pushed them back to the 16, and Stephen Gostowski's 33-yard field goal with 53 seconds left got New England within a touchdown. New England were 0 for 11 on third down.
Personnel losses finally caught up to the Patriots, as playing without tight end Rob Gronkowski, who was serving a one-game National Football League suspension, had the offense out of sync (0-for-11 on third down) and quarterback Tom Brady off his game. The Dolphins had 121 yards on the ground and the Patriots accounted for just 25 rushing yards. The first field goal was the result of a 13-play, 69-yard dive. The Dolphins also had 20 first downs while the Patriots converted 14.
Monday may have been a classic trap game for the Patriots with the Pittsburgh Steelers (11-2) looming next week. The second-year running back ran for 114 yards and caught five passes for 79 yards.
Off-duty cop robbed of his gun in fight outside Bronx nightclub
Police say the officer was arguing with a group of men when they began beating him, then took off with his gun. He was being questioned at the 46th Precinct on Sunday and had not been arrested or charged, the police said.
They were outgained 123 yards to two in the first quarter, when Brady went 0 for 4 with an interception. Even if the Dolphins caught the Patriots looking ahead to next Sunday's game in Pittsburgh, the Dolphins deserve a lot of credit for a dominating performance.
Brady went 24 for 43 for 233 yards passing, with one touchdown. The drive ended with a Rex Burkhead rushing touchdown to give the Pats a 7-6 lead.
As bad as Monday night was, the No. 1 seed in the AFC is still up for grabs when the Patriots and Steelers square off on Sunday. Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski served his one-game National Football League suspension for an intentional late hit last week against Buffalo Bills CB Tre'Davious White.
Jonathan Jones (Auburn) started in the New England secondary and made two tackles. That said, the Patriots will still win the AFC East and the Dolphins will likely miss the playoffs.
- Heath Evans, two others suspended by NFL Network after sexual-harassment allegations
- Nuclear weapons: In conversation with ICAN
- 1ST Source Bank Sells 7720 Shares of General Mills, Inc. (NYSE:GIS)
- California wildfires now larger than New York City and Boston combined
- Analyze the Analyst's Considerable Ratings:- Hecla Mining Company (HL)
- Daredevil Scribe Lauren Schmidt Hissrich is The Showrunner of Netflix's The Witcher
- Raelene Castle named Rugby Australia's first female chief excutive
- Theresa May: Optimism growing around Brexit after deal
- Google introduces 3 new photography apps: All you should know
- Who's in the final of Strictly Come Dancing 2017?