In this episode of the Heartland Daily Podcast, managing editor and research fellow Jesse Hathaway talks with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman Ajit Pai about the Restoring Internet Freedom Order, a proposed order that would undo the agency's 2015 power grab taking control of the internet and help free-market principles go online.
On Dec. 14 this year, the vote to end net neutrality is scheduled to take place. However, these fast lanes are only even considered "fast" because all other sites are purposely slowed down. Last week, internet users flooded the front page of Reddit with posts to shaming their representatives for selling out to the telecom industry.
Net neutrality is a set of laws that protects free, and uncensored internet, and protects free ideas, as well as making it so ISPs, or internet service providers, can not control the internet they provide. Today, protesters plan to gather around Verizon stores as Verizon is one of the largest internet service providers backing the FCC's plans; this is also a bold and clear statement against Pal, a former lawyer for Verizon.
(NASDAQ:COST) Shares Sold by Bank of Nova Scotia
Schroder Investment Management Grp holds 0.12% or 421,522 shares. 34,777 were accumulated by Sumitomo Mitsui Asset Management. Moreover, Vident Advisory Ltd Limited Liability Company has 0.21% invested in Costco Wholesale Corporation (NASDAQ:COST).
Many major websites have been working in conjunction with activists to drive calls to Congress since the day Pai unveiled his plan to eliminate net neutrality rules just before Thanksgiving.
Regardless of views and positions on the December 14 vote, there is no question that repealing net neutrality would have a profound effect on the entire country and fundamentally change all of our lives.
- Report on digital reach
- Ishaq Dar declared proclaimed offender after repeated no shows in court
- Corsica's nationalists dream bigger after election win
- Overkill's The Walking Dead is reanimated with new co-op character trailer
- Jameis Winston Denies Report of Rift with Buccaneers Coach Dirk Koetter
- Simple Minds and The Pretenders combine for West Sussex date
- Pay packages for private college presidents continue to rise sharply
- Cut your own Christmas tree: Farm offers chance at a family tradition
- Venezuela's ruling party wins big in mayoral elections
- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' final attempt to prevent Roger Goodell's contract extension