Children's injuries and deaths from window blinds have not stalled despite decades of safety concerns, according to a new USA study that recommends a complete ban on blinds with cords.
The results reveal that between 1990 and 2015 there were nearly 17,000 injuries relating to window blinds or shades among children under the age of six, with the vast majority taking place at home. Most deaths occur when children become entangled or strangled by the cords.
"When they explore a window blind and get their head entangled in the cords, within minutes, they're going to strangle", he warns. "No parent can watch their child every second of every day".
"Kids live in a world designed by adults, for the convenience of adults, and child safety is all to often an afterthought", said Dr Gary Smith, co-author of the study from the research institute at the Nationwide Children's Hospital in Ohio. Kaiser later formed the advocacy group Parents for Window Blind Safety. "That's why it's important to couple supervision with products that are safe for children".
The data is based on figures from 100 accident and emergency departments across the U.S., which were then used to make national estimates.
Jerry Brown: Trump doesn't fear 'the wrath of God'
Brown, who studied to become a Jesuit priest, has criticized Trump and his administration's failure to embrace climate change. Southern California is now engulfed in massive wildfires that have destroyed thousands of acres of property.
It noted that the dangers window blind cords pose to children had been highlighted as long ago as 1945.
Paul Nathanson, spokesman for the Window Covering Manufacturers Association, said a soon-to-be adopted industry standard drafted with input from the Consumer Product Safety Commission will make corded blinds unavailable in stores and online, although consumers could buy them through custom orders.
"It is time to eliminate the hazard". A new study found safety standards have been inadequate when it comes to protecting young children.
Research by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents shows that there have been at least 21 deaths across the United Kingdom due to looped blind cords since 2010.
However, many United Kingdom homes are still fitted with older blinds that do not meet these standards. There were 271 deaths related to blinds over the 26-year period, 94% of which were a result of children becoming entangled in cords or chains.
- LDC - Les affiches des huitièmes de finale !
- Golden Globe nominations to be announced Monday
- Fake Version of MyEtherWallet Appears In Apple's App Store
- Explosion à la gare routière de Port Authority — New York
- 120.000 foyers privés d'électricité en France — Vents violents
- Tata Motors announces price hike across passenger vehicles range, starting January 2018
- Brisk Monday ahead with snow chances on the rise tonight
- Days Gone, le survival horror, arrivera bel et bien en 2018 !
- National Football League 2017 Monday Night preview - New England Patriots at Miami Dolphins
- European Champions Cup: Saracens V Clermont Auvergne Moved To Monday