A senior Iraqi military commander has said his country's war against the Islamic State group is over.
"Our enemy wanted to kill our civilization, but we have won through our unity and our determination", Abadi said of the three-year effort to dislodge the extremist IS.
"All Iraqi lands are liberated from terrorist Daesh gangs and our forces completely control the global Iraqi-Syrian border", Lt. Gen. Abdul-Amir Rasheed Yar Allah said in a statement released shortly after al-Abadi's remarks.
With Iraq's army and police retreating in disarray at the time, Ayatollah Ali Sistani, spiritual leader of the country's majority Shiites, called for a general mobilisation, leading to the formation of Hashed al-Shaabi paramilitary units.
The forces fighting Islamic State in Iraq and Syria now expect a new phase of guerrilla warfare, a tactic the militants have already shown themselves capable of.
But Iraqi forces, alongside the USA -led military coalition, battled to regain ground, capped by this summer's liberation of Mosul - Iraq's second largest city - and finally last month's recapture of Rawa, the final town under ISIS control.
Composition d'équipes PSG - Lille : Angel Di Maria et Javier Pastore titulaires
Berchiche débute logiquement en défense en l'absence de Kurzawa aux côtés de Kimpembe, Marquinhos et Alves. C'est tout naturellement que Berchiche et Kimpembe les remplacent et soient titulaires.
He is believed to be hiding in the stretch of desert in the border area.
After ISIS swept into Iraq in the summer of 2014, it managed to overtake almost a third of its territory, according to an Associated Press tally.
On the Syrian side of the border, IS is under massive pressure too.
Yet despite the declaration of victory, vestiges of the group may prove hard to eradicate as insurgents remain capable of launching attacks.
In the border region, pro-government forces and US-backed Kurdish-led forces are conducting operations to clear IS fighters from the countryside north of the Euphrates valley after ousting them from all Syrian towns. Within months they had seized control of much of northern Iraq, including the city of Mosul, and threatened to march assault Iraqi Kurdistan.
- Sri Lanka Formally Hands Over Hambantota Port To China
- Freight train derails in New Jersey, causing commuter delays
- Soul-Shattering Video of Emaciated Bear Hammers Home Climate Change Pitfalls
- Cruz Azul tiene a su primer refuerzo para 2018, Carlos Fierro
- WipEout Omega Collection VR update coming in early 2018
- Le programme d'hommage à Johnny Hallyday — PSG/Lille
- Abadi annonce "la fin de la guerre" contre l'EI en Irak
- Time Warner Inc (TWX) Shares Sold by NWQ Investment Management Company LLC
- Perez: Neymar should consider Real switch
- Ryan Giggs Interested In Wales Job