The shutdown meant longer evening commutes for some New Jersey workers. Parts of train cars were scattered on and around the tracks. At least one vehicle appeared to be crushed.
It was not immediately known what caused the derailment to happen.
Sebastian D'Elia, communication director for Union county, said the the track was substantially damaged.
Fire officials in Union Township, southwest of Newark, said the roughly 140-car train operated by CSX Transportation derailed about 1:30 p.m. on its way to Selkirk, New York, a suburb of Albany.
Saint Moritz-Super-G (D): Doublé suisse, Worley placée
Après s'être allongée, elle a été prise en charge par l'équipe médicale dans la tente située non loin de la piste. Tina Weirather s'est quant à elle classée troisième (+0 " 16), devant l'Italienne Federica Brignone (+"034).
The first auto to derail was the second vehicle behind the engine, according to Fred Fretz, Township of Union Emergency Management Coordinator.
NJ Transit's Raritan Valley Line service was suspended in both directions between Newark Penn Station and Cranford and also between Raritan and High Bridge due to the derailment near Union Station.
Cross-honoring is in effect with NJ TRANSIT and private carrier buses.
Buses will continue to replace trains between Cranford, Roselle Park, Union and Newark Penn Stations. The line has 20 train stations along its route.
Jocelyn Hill, a ConRail spokesperson, said the train and crew were from CSX, but ConRail owns the tracks and the scene has been turned over to ConRail. There were no reports of injuries.
- Chelsea: Blues agree new deal with vivid youngster
- Soul-Shattering Video of Emaciated Bear Hammers Home Climate Change Pitfalls
- Noida double murder: cops detain teen
- Palestinian UN Ambassador Files Complaint against United States over Jerusalem
- La dernière petite folie de Patrice Evra — OM
- Jimbo Fisher explains why his Christmas tree was thrown to the curb
- Nadine Morano, personnalité politique la moins appréciée des Français
- Liverpool's CEO announces plans to expand Anfield
- Perez: Neymar should consider Real switch
- Which Way Traders Signposts Celgene Corporation (CELG), Aaron's, Inc. (AAN) Stocks?