Warner Music Group, one of the world's three major record labels, has already signed on, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private talks.
YouTube has plans to release a new paid music service next spring, Bloomberg reports citing anonymous sources familiar with the matter. Without major label support, a streaming service can not offer proper content to keep users interested.
According to the report, YouTube has already finalized a deal with Warner Bros Music Group and is now in talks with Sony Music Entertainment, Merlin (a label covering independent artists), and Universal Music Group. The service will combine both traditional music streaming and music videos, according to the report.
Podcast: Lakers beat Sixers on the road behind Brandon Ingram game-winner
It was a race from behind for the Sixers, struggling to keep up with L.A., fighting from behind nearly the entire clash. L.A. led by 15 early in the fourth quarter, but the 76ers stormed back behind Embiid and Richaun Holmes .
That could help the company take on the likes of Spotify and Apple Music - but given that YouTube already has a Music app, as well as a paid subscription service (called YouTube Red), and Google already has a streaming service and music store, it's an odd strategy to start on at this point. YouTube is also negotiating with a consortium of independent labels called Merlin, as well as reaching out to have artists help promote the service.
Vevo is majority owned by Universal and Sony.
What do you think of the idea of a YouTube music streaming service? Namely, they have been disappointed in how YouTube Red is not music-centric enough and instead focussed on producing original video content.
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Champions' Ballad DLC Available Tonight
- Clashes continue as Israel strikes Gaza militant posts after rockets fired
- FromSoftware Teases Its New Game With Tagline Shadows Die Twice
- Kevin Gausman changing number to honor Roy Halladay
- Lawsuit Accuses Bryan Singer of Sexually Assaulting 17-Year-Old Boy
- Fallen Kingdom' Is Here
- Jeff Sessions Faces Tough Cannabis Questions-From DOJ Interns
- Police arrest main suspect in the murder of Yosif Al-Hasnawi
- La Russie déclare que la Syrie est totalement libérée de Daech
- Honda's Super Cute 3E Robotics Concepts Heading To CES 2018