Following US President Donald Trump's controversial decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital, a senior Fatah official of the Palestinian Authority stated that US Vice President Mike Pence is not welcome in Palestinian territory and that his requested meeting with PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas "will not take place." .
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas addresses the 72nd United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in NY, U.S., September 20, 2017.
"In order to ensure the success of reconciliation, we have instructed the government to go to the Gaza Strip and work to find solutions to the daily suffering of our people there", Abbas said in a statement carried by the official Wafa news agency.
Rajoub also signaled that Abbas would not meet with Pence. It was not clear what Rajoub's remarks meant for the West Bank portion of Pence's trip.
Clashes continue as Israel strikes Gaza militant posts after rockets fired
Around two hours later the army said that another rocket, fired form the enclave's north, exploded in southern Israel. After the assault from Gaza, Israeli jets targeted military sites belonging to Hamas and Islamic Jihad.
In making his announcement on Wednesday, Trump also said that he would direct the State Department to begin preparations for moving the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem, though he signed a national security waiver keeping the facility in Tel Aviv for the time being.
He added that "the decision of the trump will not change the reality of al-Quds (the Arabic name for Jerusalem, which is claimed by Palestinians) - the Arab, Muslim and Christian city is the eternal capital of Palestine".
Violence breaks out following United States recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital.
- Lawsuit Accuses Bryan Singer of Sexually Assaulting 17-Year-Old Boy
- Podcast: Lakers beat Sixers on the road behind Brandon Ingram game-winner
- FromSoftware Teases Its New Game With Tagline Shadows Die Twice
- Eagles TE Zach Ertz returns to practice after clearing concussion protocol
- Fallen Kingdom' Is Here
- Philippe Coutinho's message after Liverpool rout is seriously encouraging for Barcelona
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Wenger responds to call for Giroud to leave Arsenal
- Star Wars Battlefront 2's premium currency might not return
- Police arrest main suspect in the murder of Yosif Al-Hasnawi