Fueled by high winds, the blaze dubbed the Creek fire was reported at 3:42 a.m. near Gold Creek and Little Tujunga roads, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department, which was assisting the U.S. Forest Service and the Los Angeles Fire Department in battling the flames.
Aerial video from Sky5 showed the fire burning on the east side of the freeway; the Getty Center is located west of the 405 Freeway.
- An early-morning second-alarm brush fire that broke out in the Kagel Canyon area above Sylmar Tuesday charred more than 4,000 acres, damaged at least one home and prompted the evacuation of people and animals.
In Los Angeles, the Burning index rating, a daily reading of fire danger, is now at 296, according to fire officials, a record.
Mandatory evacuation orders have been issued for residents within the following boundaries: South of Mulholland Drive, east of the 405 Freeway, north of Sunset Boulevard and west of Roscomare Road. But we also maintain the brush, so that we don't have combustible materials. The 405 Freeway, a major commuting highway, also has been closed. "There's nothing you can do except get out". "We have not lost lives", Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said. The only fire in which there was any containment was the Rye, at 5%.
The two blazes in the city of Los Angeles came after LAFD had sent firefighters to the massive Thomas Fire in Ventura County.
Kevin Gausman changing number to honor Roy Halladay
The Tiger ace had a big sophomore year, starting 17 games, finishing with a 12-2 record and a 2.77 ERA. Gausman went 11-12 last season with the Orioles in 34 starts with a 4.68 ERA and 179 strikeouts.
The Getty Center said on Twitter that its galleries are protected from the smoke by an air filtration system. "THANK YOU to all First Responders for your incredible work!"
"We are still in the middle of an aggressive and active firefight on the ground", said Robert Welsbie, spokesman for the Ventura Fire Department.
Wind gusts were forecast to top out at 70 miles per hour (115 km per hour) on Wednesday and remain strong through the week. Classes were canceled at all schools in the Ventura Unified School District on Wednesday.
A fast-moving blaze killed almost 30 horses at a ranch in Sylmar as five wildfires burned through more than 83,000 acres in Southern California on Wednesday.
Hartwig, who was on site on Wednesday along with about 100 essential staff members, said he was still concerned that heavy winds might blow across the highway toward the Getty.
- Fallen Kingdom' Is Here
- 50% of All Flickr Photos Are Shot with Smartphones Now - Mostly iPhones
- Honda's Super Cute 3E Robotics Concepts Heading To CES 2018
- Wenger responds to call for Giroud to leave Arsenal
- La Russie déclare que la Syrie est totalement libérée de Daech
- Angry Birds and Sonic will soon be playable in Facebook Messenger
- Square Enix confirme officiellement un nouveau Tomb Raider pour 2018
- Why 2017 Was a Year to Remember for Phillips 66
- Catholic-Dignity Merger To Forge Nonprofit Health Giant
- UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (UNH) Position Lowered by Guardian Capital Advisors LP