China's exports expanded much faster than expected in November but the annual increase in imports outpaced export growth, data from the General Administration of Customs showed Friday.
Reflecting the impact of currency movements over the year, imports grew by 15.6% in local currency terms, above the 12.5% level expected. Output cuts by Chinese steelmakers have led to tighter supplies, pushing steel prices to multi-year highs and driving up prices of iron ore as mills and trades restock in anticipation for steel production recovery after March.
Crude oil demand also increased, lifting to 37.04 million tonnes from 31.03 million tonnes a month earlier.
The numbers may help to ease concerns of slowing momentum in Asia's economic powerhouse, which had surprised markets with robust growth of almost 6.9 percent in the nine months of this year, thanks to a government-led infrastructure spending spree and unexpected strength in exports.
Iron ore imports "were not necessarily just by steel mills but could have been also purchased by traders", said Helen Lau at Argonaut Securities in Hong Kong.
Bigg Boss 11: Divya Agarwal confronted Priyank Sharma in BB House
After her exit, viewers saw Luv Tyagi getting angry at Divya's comments about Priyank not needing a group in the house. She was possibly hinting at the "connection" that Priyank was building with ex-contestant Benafsha Soonawalla.
China's trade surplus widened in November to $40.21 billion from $38.2 billion the previous month, exceeding the median forecast for a $34.2 billion surplus.?
In yuan terms, the surplus fell to 263.6 billion yuan, down from 285.4 billion yuan in October.
China's overseas shipments unexpectedly jumped as global demand remained firm, while import growth remained steady.
The data has helped lift riskier assets across the region, seeing stocks add to earlier gains and helping to reverse earlier losses in the Australian and New Zealand dollar's and Chinese commodity futures.
- Gard : la stèle d'Abel Chennouf, tué par Merah, profanée
- A Way Out trailer revealed during The Game Awards 2017
- TGA 2017: Vacation Simulator Revealed for PS VR, Oculus Rift & HTC Vive
- Pentagon has no plans to evacuate USA dependents from South Korea
- Atkins To Replace De León, Become First Female Senate President Pro Tem
- Geoffrey Rush sues newspaper over 'spurious' claims
- Trump's approval rating at 32%
- Norberto Rivera deja de ser arzobispo; pide disculpas por errores
- The Outlast games are headed to Nintendo Switch
- Justice Dept. seeking info on Planned Parenthood's fetal tissue practices