CoinDesk, a widely regarded industry site, still showed the cryptocurrency below the $15,000 level, according to its average of prices across leading exchanges.
In trading on the Coinbase exchange, the digital currency hit a high of $19,340 after soaring through $12,000 on just Tuesday night. At 4:08 p.m. NY time, the cryptocurrency traded at $16,362.99. Due to the incredible demand and wild swings in its price, prices for Bitcoin diverged significantly on its biggest exchanges, exposing its fragile trading infrastructure.
"I truly don't think people are involved on a mass scale yet".
Bitcoin now has a market value of more than $256 billion, meaning it would rank among the 20 largest stocks in the S&P 500. NY time Wednesday, bitcoin jumped past $15,000, and the day's wild ride began.
The digital currency began the year below $1,000 and its gains have accelerated as investor interest grows.
Brexit - Theresa May en route pour Bruxelles pour rencontrer Juncker
Tusk présenterait une "mise à jour de la situation sur le Brexit", quelle qu'elle soit, avant de partir en déplacement en Hongrie. A Londres, Downing Street s'est refusé à tout commentaire dans l'immédiat.
Cboe Global Markets has said it will start trading bitcoin futures on December 10, while CME Group's contracts are set to debut on December 18. The digital currency also got a boost from a successful test of a technology that will attempt to ease congestion in purchases of the digital currency.
While we launched [in the U.S.] just a week ago, bitFlyer has already seen strong interest from institutions looking to gain exposure to bitcoin. "We're glad to have expanded to the United States at this time with so much interest due to the impending Bitcoin futures launches", bitFlyer COO Bartek Ringwelski, said in an email.
But critics say that the price run-up is a bubble that has been driven mostly by speculation, leaving bitcoin vulnerable to a sharp reversal, Reuters noted. JPMorgan Chase Jamie Dimon has called bitcoin a "fraud".
Remember, Bitcoin was valued at around $1,000 at the beginning of the year, but really began its big run over the last two months.
- A Way Out trailer revealed during The Game Awards 2017
- L'hommage de Stars 80 en concert à Dijon — Johnny
- 3 dead following school shooting in New Mexico
- Pa. state lawmaker faces calls to resign after calling fellow lawmaker gay
- Canning Vale fight: Witnesses tell of bloody brawl aftermath
- Virushka nuptials alert! Anushka Sharma, along with parents, spotted at Mumbai T2
- Justice Dept. seeking info on Planned Parenthood's fetal tissue practices
- IFM Investors Pty Ltd Raises Holdings in Chevron Corporation (CVX)
- Gard : la stèle d'Abel Chennouf, tué par Merah, profanée
- Geoffrey Rush sues newspaper over 'spurious' claims