Brighton and Hove Albion's third-round FA Cup meeting with Crystal Palace on January 8 will be the first competitive club match in England in which the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) will be used, the Football Association said on Thursday.
The system was first deployed in the country when England hosted Germany in a friendly at Wembley Stadium last month, although it was not called on to make a decision.
In March, the Football Association claimed that it would trial the Video Assistant Referee technology in this season's FA Cup, and the fixture between Premier League rivals Brighton and Palace has been chosen.
'I tricked TripAdvisor to make my shed its top restaurant'
A writer has told BBC 5 live how he tricked TripAdvisor into making his shed the number one restaurant in London. But The Shed's success came with an unforeseen side effect: actual reservation requests, hundreds of them.
"The FA has always been open to trialling new innovations and was heavily involved in the advancement of goal-line technology before it was introduced", said the FA's director of professional game relations Andy Ambler.
VAR involves assistant referees watching the action remotely and then drawing the match referee's attention to officiating mistakes or missed serious incidents.
January's third-round FA Cup clash between Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace will be the first competitive club match in England where VAR is used.
The FA confirmed in its statement that the technology will only be employed to counteract "clear and obvious errors" on specific incidents in three situations: goals, penalty decisions and straight red cards or mistaken identity for red or yellow cards.
- The Stifel Financial Corp Raises Stake in Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK)
- GTA Online's Doomsday Heists Lets Players Enter Mount Chilliad (With Jetpacks)
- Ford will build its electric SUV in Mexico
- Le Parlement adopte la loi ouvrant le mariage aux couples homos — Australie
- JK Rowling Defends Casting Johnny Depp in 'Fantastic Beasts' Sequel
- Huawei Mate 9 and Mate 9 Pro start receiving Android Oreo update
- Salvator Mundi au nouveau Louvre d'Abou Dhabi: Il rejoint "La Belle Ferronnière"
- Un cadavre "décapité" retrouvé dans le coffre d'une voiture
- Dairy Product Prices Rise for First Time in Five Auctions
- Alec Baldwin rips Oliver, Colbert for turning talk shows into 'grand juries'