Spanking children can lead to adult relationship violence when those children grow up, a new study published Tuesday in the Journal of Pediatrics suggested.
Temple, along with a team of researchers at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, has been checking in with a group of almost 800 people every year. Of those, 19 percent reported committing dating violence, and 69 percent of those had received corporal punishment as a child. "Analysis showed a significant positive association between corporal punishment and physical perpetration of dating violence".
Dr. Temple says this just adds to growing evidence that corporal punishment has negative long-term effects like aggression and mental health problems, despite so many of us saying we were spanked and turned out just fine.
Kate McKinnon Does The Definitive Impression Of Gal Gadot
Gal Gadot at the " Wonder Woman " premiere at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood, California, May 25, 2017. People talk like other people all the time, and usually they don't do it well.
Researchers said an estimated 80 percent of children are physically punished worldwide and across cultures. The abuse seemed to take hold more if the punishment was from a parent or someone they admired.
"This study confirms and extends previous research that says children who experience violence at home, even if it is couched as for their own good, end up using violence later in their lives", Sege told CNN.
- 'Hero' Eatonville officer of Pulse attack loses job, feels 'pushed out'
- TT Electronics' (TTG) Buy Rating Reaffirmed at Numis Securities
- Stocks to Watch For: Comcast Corporation (CMCSA), Apple Inc. (AAPL)
- Sell-Side Sees Upside & Positive Growth in Hormel Foods Corporation (NYSE:HRL)
- Musicians charged & remanded for offensive communication against the president released on bail
- Deacons strike gold against 49ers
- Second Week of Chick-fil-A Toys for Tots Collection
- Brush Fire Erupts Along 405 Freeway In Sepulveda Pass
- Oakland A's ballpark plan dealt big blow
- First Lady Melania Trump visits Whataburger while in Texas