Meanwile, the rand traded at 13.5100 per dollar at 1517 GMT, compared to a close of 13.5225 overnight in NY.
"It's more the dollar play than anything else", said TreasuryOne currency dealer Phillip Pearce.
The two best performing blue-chips were e-commerce firm Naspers and private hospital group Mediclinic.
The rand had gained earlier this week on hopes that Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa - who is seen as more investor friendly - will win the race to become the next leader of the ANC.
On the stock market, the benchmark Top-40 index was up 0.2 percent at 51,656 points, while the broader All-share index rose by 0.01 percent to 58,013 points.
Jonny Evans could leave West Brom in January, admits Alan Pardew
Speculations has even ramped up over recent days that the 29-year-old could be on the move come January. I thought he was outstanding against Crystal Palace".
South Africa's rand weakened on Wednesday, giving back gains made after a larger-than-expected expansion in third-quarter GDP as investors took some profits on the recent rally.
Naspers came under pressure after weakness in Chinese internet company Tencent and extended losses to close down 3 percent at 3,520 rand after a US law firm launched an inquiry on behalf of shareholders into whether it engaged in securities fraud or other unlawful businesses practices.
Government bonds were firmer in early trade, with the yield for the benchmark instrument due in 2026 down 5 basis points to 9.185 percent.
Steinhoff weighed on the bourse as its shares extended losses after it said on Tuesday it had appointed PwC to investigate "accounting irregularities" and its chief executive, company veteran Markus Jooste, quit.
- Man found strangled alongside daughter was sex offender, police reveal
- Analysts Ratings for The Interpublic Group of Companies, Inc. (IPG)
- The Most Spectacular Meteor Shower of the Year Is Upon Us
- Beal has career-high 51, Wizards down Trail Blazers 106-92
- How Insiders and Institutions are Trading Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (SIRI)
- China offers funding for Zimbabwe infrastructure development
- Ex-policeman faces 20 years in prison for Scott slaying
- Deux français sur le podium de la Coupe du monde
- Des chercheurs pensent avoir découvert un os appartenant au père Noël
- Shooter down, at least 2 people shot at New Mexico high school