"I think it's something that we have to consider", Vincent said. "You can just see it now, you watch the college games and they kicking players out for clean hits because they can't tell what is a clean hit from certain angles".
As calls for player safety continue to mount with no sign of slowing at every level of the game, the National Football League is mulling implementing a "targeting" rule, similar to the collegiate one that routinely leaves players, coaches and fans alike aghast every Saturday.
Pitt Head Football Coach Pat Narduzzi Signs 7-Year Contract Extension
The Panthers were the only team to beat eventual national champion Clemson in 2016 and stunned second-ranked Miami last month.
After Monday night's game between the Bengals and the Steelers that featured several punishing, terrifying hits, it's clear something has to change in regards to the NFL's current targeting rule.
Vincent also notes that coaches, general managers, owners and players are adamant about not wanting players ejected from games unless there is no other option.
Before this season, the competition committee issued a directive that a player should be ejected from a game by officials or suspended by the league for the most egregious and flagrant illegal hits, even for a first offense by that player.
Vincent said the enforcement of such penalties and concurrent suspensions have started to limit the number of unsafe hits. "[For] things that shouldn't be part of our game, players are being removed", Vincent said Wednesday.
- Oposición venezolana dice que presidenciales son su prioridad en negociación
- Hyundai, Subaru lead the way in 2018 IIHS crash test ratings
- Crazy Volume Spikes for: Lam Research Corporation (NASDAQ:LRCX)
- Ranbir Kapoor heads to Cape Town after Shashi Kapoor's funeral
- Parents of Seminole Heights murder suspect in court for contempt hearing
- Pawan Kalyan supports DCI staff stir; to write to PM
- Oscar Academy Releases 'Standard of Conduct' For Members
- Officer injured in shooting at Walmart parking lot in northwest Miami-Dade
- Instagram proscrit désormais les selfies avec des animaux exotiques
- Buhari Visits Kano, Grants Amnesty to 500 Prison Inmates