Coty allows its products to be sold by authorized dealers but puts a number of restrictions on how such sales are carried out, finding such terms necessary to preserve its branding image.
Luxury owners have long waged a battle against what they say are free riders cashing in on their exclusivity and branding.
Online platforms argue that such curbs are anti-competitive and will hurt small businesses.
"The prohibition at issue in the main proceedings enables the supplier of luxury goods to check that the goods will be sold online in an environment that corresponds to the qualitative conditions that it has agreed with its authorized distributors", the ruling states.
Bombay High Court upholds RERA Act
As per the Act, developers, projects and agents had time till July 31 to compulsorily register their projects with the Authority. The court also struck down a provision that provided for appointment of bureaucrats as members of an appellate tribunal .
In a move that could have far-reaching consequences, the Court of Justice backed the case brought by USA cosmetics giant Coty - which makes Rimmel and CoverGirl brands, among others.
Coty's German subsidiary and retailer, Parfumerie Akzente, had been selling Coty cosmetics on Amazon and other online sites, despite its parent asking it to stop.
Third party platform bans may be justified in the selective distribution of luxury goods. The German Competition Authority, the Bundeskartellamt, has already said that it considers the CJEU's decision to be limited to genuinely prestigious products. In their ruling, judges confirmed that luxury brands could restrict sales through online marketplaces without breaching European competition rules.
Germany will now have to fall in line though, said a competition lawyer, who declined to be named.
The case is C-230/15 Coty Germany.
- Brokers Ratings on: United States Steel Corp. (NYSE:X)
- John Green reteaming with Fox for Turtles All the Way Down movie
- Enter to Win The Disaster Artist Prize Pack
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:APC) Stock Is Shorted More
- Homeless Man Who Helped Stranger Buys Home
- Blackwater Founder Denies Trump Connection to Seychelles Meeting
- Shareholder Luminus Management LLC Has Lifted Firstenergy Corp (FE) Holding
- Somewhat Positive News Coverage Somewhat Unlikely to Impact Baidu (BIDU) Share Price
- Detroit TV anchor accused of harassment placed on leave
- Her Story Creator Sam Barlow's Next Interactive Series Is #WarGames