Earlier it became known that the bill allowing the Ukrainian parliament to dismiss the heads of NABU, SAPO and members of the National Agency on Corruption Prevention (NAZK), has been removed from the parliament's agenda.
The IMF chief said recent actions by prosecutors in Ukraine could threaten the independence of Ukraine's National Anticorruption Bureau (NABU), which was set up after the Euromaidan protests ousted Moscow-friendly President Viktor Yanukovych in 2014.
A bill submitted jointly by President Petro Poroshenko's ruling party and its coalition partner granting parliament the right to remove corruption investigators appeared to be the last straw for the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.
Lagarde urged "Ukrainian authorities and parliament to safeguard the independence of NABU and SAPO", Ukraine's Specialized Anticorruption Prosecutor's Office.
Israel arrests 20 Palestinians involved in lynch attempt on Israeli children
According to the Prisoners Society, the Israeli army also arrested six Palestinians from occupied East Jerusalem. One of the Israeli escorts suffered a light head wound in the incident after he was hit with a rock.
"The public disclosure of a corruption investigation by the General Prosecutor Office significantly weakens the capacity of the National Anti-corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) to effectively conduct investigations and undermines public trust in an effective fight against corruption", the European Union statement added.
Poroshenko's party appeared to be responding to the statements by announcing that the disputed legislation would not be examined on Thursday as some lawmakers had sought.
But it has faced resistance from ministries and tycoons whom critics accuse of robbing the strife-torn state.
The course being charted by Ukraine since its 2014 pro-EU revolution regained worldwide attention this week when security services attempted to arrest former Georgian president Mikheil Saakashvili - an anti-corruption crusader leading protests against the government.
- Crazy Volume Spikes for: Lam Research Corporation (NASDAQ:LRCX)
- Derrick Rose ends his self-imposed Cavaliers exile
- Pawan Kalyan supports DCI staff stir; to write to PM
- Thiago Silva absent pour un mois — PSG
- Instagram proscrit désormais les selfies avec des animaux exotiques
- A Garda has been shot in north Dublin this morning
- Pitt Head Football Coach Pat Narduzzi Signs 7-Year Contract Extension
- EU Slams Trump over Jerusalem Move, Warns 'Darker Times' now Lie Ahead
- La France va restituer les crânes de martyrs Algériens — Mémoire
- Yémen: au moins 234 morts, 400 blessés dans les récents combats à Sanaa