Host India barged into the semi-finals by winning over Belgium by 3-2 in the sudden death round, as the quarterfinal match ended in 3-3 draw in stipulated time in the Odisha Hockey World League Final at Kalinga Stadium here today. Both teams tied at 3-3 at regulation time.
After Harmanpreet Singh scored the third one for the Indians in the shootout, Arthur van Doren equalised for the Belgians. India doubled their lead four minutes later from a penalty corner.
After three efforts it was 2-0 for India but Belgium roared back forcing sudden-death by scoring both of their two remaining efforts while India failed to convert. Belgium who never lost a single match in the league rounds entered the quarterfinal rounds.
LGIM posts £38.1bn inflows with group poised for record year
Legal & General said it expected a record year for profits and earnings as it reported accelerating growth across its businesses. At 0910 GMT, shares in L&G were up 0.53 percent at 263.1 pence, compared with a 0.23 percent rise in the FTSE 100 index.
In the topsy-turvy shootout, Lalit Upadhyay, Rupinder Pal Singh and Harmanpreet scored from India. SV Sunil had a chance to put India in the lead early in the first quarter off two brilliant crosses from Gurjant. "Hopefully, we will now play with more energy and win the semi-final".
SV Sunil who hit a blinder to Belgium goal post, the goalkeeper blocked it, but before the defence line clear the ball out of the danger zone, Gurjant made the score for India. But Harmanpreet Singh's shot went straight to the Belgian goalkeeper.
The Belgian, who were unbeaten in the pool stage, had two great chances in the form of two penalty corners at the far end of the match to score the victor but the Indians defended well to take the game into shoot-out. Rupinder Pal Singh scored a penalty corner to give India a 3-2 lead but a deflected goal from Belgium's Amaury Keusters took the score to 3-3 and forced the match into a thrilling shoot-out. The hosts drew with world champions Australia, before losing to England and Germany.
- Un cas de méningite rapporté en Gironde
- $0.50 EPS Expected for Red Hat, Inc. (RHT)
- I'm A Celebrity 2017: Stanley Johnson is the fifth campmate voted off!
- Game of Thrones star says final season won't air until 2019
- You Can Now Hail a Self-Driving Lyft in This US City
- 'Shazam!' Finds Billy Batson's Best Friend In IT Actor Jack Dylan
- John Oliver grills Dustin Hoffman about sexual harassment allegations
- Dragon's Crown Pro announced for western territories
- Cinq matchs de préparation pour les Bleus
- DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale Lowers Position in Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE:MRO)