The victim, independently verified as 17-year-old German skier Max Burkhart, passed away Wednesday at Foothills hospital in Calgary after a devastating high-speed crash ahead of this week's NorAm Cup at the Lake Louise Ski Resort.
A 17-year-old ski racer from a club in Germany has died after he was seriously injured during a NorAm event at Lake Louise.
Burkhart lost control during his training run on the afternoon of December 5 and suffered serious, life-threatening injuries to his lower body.
Burkhart crashed into the netting and was flown to a Calgary area hospital by STARS air ambulance after being tended to by ski patrol, doctors and paramedics.
"N'investissez plus dans les énergies fossiles" : le cri d'alarme de 80 économistes
Les 80 économistes déplorent l'absence dans les débats d'un problème qu'ils jugent primordiale: le financement des énergies fossiles.
French downhiller David Poisson was killed in a training run crash at nearby Nakiska on November 13 as he prepared for the first men's World Cup downhill of the season.
Prior to a training run at Lake Louise on Monday, the Nor-Am Cup would have been Burkhart's first competition in Canada.
Former competitive skier and Ski Racing Media senior editor Sean Higgins tells Postmedia these sorts of tragedies weigh heavily on the close-knit competitive skiing community. "Alpine Canada and Alberta Alpine encourage the ski family around the world to support the athletes' family and team-mate through this hard time".
" The FIS alpine family is once again affected by a tragic loss".
- Taika Waititi offered Star Wars movie
- LG Unveils First Luxury Smartphone in S
- Argentina judge orders arrest of ex-president Kirchner
- FRDI Bill does not adversely modify depositor protections: Government
- Jeremy Corbyn's Momentum allies face Electoral Commission probe
- Sturgeon rejects call to 'ditch' named person policy
- Investors Sell Microsoft (MSFT) on Strength on Insider Selling
- Cherbourg : un mineur tué par balles à Tourlaville
- Disney CEO Could Extend His Contract Again If Fox Deal Goes Through
- Instagram is testing a standalone messaging app because why not