A small-town convenience store in Altoona, Pennsylvania, tested out special blue-tinted lights in its bathrooms to discourage drug use, the company said.
Sheetz said Wednesday that is testing blue lights in the restrooms of one of its stores in Westmoreland County. That store, located on 325 Freeport St.in Parnassus, is the only one now using the new lights.
"One of our highest priorities at Sheetz is creating a safe and secure environment for our customers and employees", Sheetz spokesman Nick Ruffner said in a statement to Triblive Tuesday.
Sheetz, with the support of the New Kensington Police Department, installed blue recessed lighting as a way to fight the drug epidemic rattling the community. And, officials tell the Trib there are no plans to expand the program.
Two Killed in Gas Pipeline Explosion in Lee County Identified
The Lee County Sheriff's Office and Illinois State Police are responding to reports of a large explosion near Nachusa. Workers used a second tractor to try to free the first but lost traction when the pipeline exploded.
This Sheetz location witnessed an increase in overdose deaths over the past nine years. Still, he added that when desperate, most drug users can locate their veins through memory.
"(They) could probably find a vein with their eyes closed if they had to", he said. "I don't think it'll work".
The blue lights in the bathroom of a Sheetz are a deterrent because they make it hard for addicts to see their veins. "It might be an initial distraction, but I really don't think it's going to deter them a whole lot".
- Prince William and Kate Middleton at the Children's Global Media Summit
- Superhot 'Rouge-Like' Expansion Announced With Reveal Trailer
- Miocic-Ngannou title fight eyed for UFC 220
- Ryan Reynolds To Do Some Pokemon Sleuthing In 'Detective Pikachu'
- Taylor Swift Turned to Kesha for Advice During Groping Case
- Suzuki, Gadjovich Invited To World Junior Final Camp
- Abramovich could hand sacked Hull boss Slutsky job at Chelsea
- 'Not out of the woods' with hand injury
- Young & CO. LTD. Boosts Holdings in Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. (APD)
- 'Baby Driver' Director Edgar Wright Comments On Kevin Spacey Allegations