While not providing much in the way of details, the company did say in a statement that there had been "a security breach involving NiceHash website" and that they "are now investigating the nature of the incident and, as a result... are stopping all operations for the next 24 hours".
The NiceHash website had gone offline earlier in the day, which the company had chalked up to maintenance.
Importantly, our payment system was compromised and the contents of the NiceHash Bitcoin wallet have been stolen. It also allows NiceHash users to purchase computer processing power from other users.
I hope that the bitcoin is able to be recovered or at least that Nicehash is able to do the right think and compensate its users from its own funds.
The announcement follows an hours-long outage and reports from a multitude of users that their NiceHash-associated wallets had been emptied.
Millennials Want Democrats To Control Congress
The poll surveyed 2,358 adults between November 28-30, with a margin of error of +/- 3.5 percent. That disapproval isn't limited to Democrats, either.
Although NiceHash has not confirmed the number of bitcoins stolen, NiceHash users have circulated a wallet address that suggests that 4,736.42 BTC - worth more than $62 million at the current exchange rate - was drained from the company's hot wallet.
NiceHash would only go so far as to state that it is "working to verify the precise number of BTC taken".
The company stated that, in addition to an internal investigation, they had contacted the "relevant authorities and law enforcement" and that they are working to "rectify the matter in the coming days". Users were warned to change passwords. We are fully committed to restoring the NiceHash service with the highest security measures at the earliest opportunity.
While the NiceHash operators seem honest with their statement, those words ring hollow for users that lost their accumulated BTC. We will endeavor to update you at regular intervals.
We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused and are committing every resource towards solving this issue as soon as possible.
- French President Emmanuel Macron Vows to 'Return African Heritage to Africa'
- Abramovich could hand sacked Hull boss Slutsky job at Chelsea
- 'Not out of the woods' with hand injury
- Conyers' son was arrested for earlier this year for allegedly attacking girlfriend
- Washington Real Estate Investment (WRE): Zooming in on the Technicals
- BHP Billiton (LON:BLT) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Deutsche Bank
- Lamborghini Working On Plug In Hybrid Lamborghini Urus SUV
- Two Killed in Gas Pipeline Explosion in Lee County Identified
- Men Dominated YouTube This Year, & That's Disappointing
- Jeffrey Tambor May Not Be Quitting "Transparent" After All