― Reuters picLEIPZIG, Dec 7 ― RB Leipzig's hopes of reaching the Champions League knockout stages in their debut European season were ended after they suffered a 2-1 home defeat by Besiktas amid late drama yesterday.
Three Premier League teams are in UEFA Champions League action on Wednesday with Liverpool knowing a win will see them win Group E and make it five PL teams in the last 16 of the UCL.
Alvaro Negredo scored the opening goal for Besiktas in the 10th minute from the penalty spot.
The German side, who had to achieve a better result than Porto to finish second behind Group G winners Besiktas, were beaten by a half-volleyed 90th minute strike from Brazil Under-23 global Talisca.
In the 87th minute, however, Leipzig's Naby Keita scored the equaliser to level the scoreline.
Mark Andrews wins the 2017 Mackey Award
The formal presentation will take place on Thursday during the Home Depot College Football Awards Show, to be broadcast by ESPN. Andrews beat out Wisconsin senior Troy Fumagalli and Penn State senior Mike Gesicki for the award.
But Talisca's goal in the 90th minute allowed Besiktas to advance to the group of 16.
Besiktas's victory took their tally at the top of the group to 14 points, with Porto taking second spot on 10 after a 5-2 win over Monaco.
It is the only Turkish team to qualify from the group stage undefeated and advanced as the group leader. The Italian club's hopes of snatching second place in Group F, however, were hit as Feyenoord fought back to equalise through Nicolai Jorgensen before claiming the dramatic victor and their first points in this year's group stage.
Besiktas striker Cem Tosun also expressed his confidence following the game. "A game against Bayern would be special though", said Tosun, according to UEFA's official website.
- John Green reteaming with Fox for Turtles All the Way Down movie
- Shareholder Luminus Management LLC Has Lifted Firstenergy Corp (FE) Holding
- Abramovich could hand sacked Hull boss Slutsky job at Chelsea
- Deadpool Offering Fans Free Deadpool Tattoos at Brazil Comic Con
- Gas station hopes blue lights in bathroom can deter drug use
- Millennials Want Democrats To Control Congress
- Brookfield Renewable Partners (BEP) Shares Cross Below 200 DMA
- Moore police release videos of confrontation with senator at hotel
- Somewhat Positive News Coverage Somewhat Unlikely to Impact Baidu (BIDU) Share Price
- 'Not out of the woods' with hand injury