Same-sex marriage campaigners and volunteers cheer as they call on politicians to pass marriage equality legislation during rally outside Parliament House in Canberra, Australia, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017.
The 33-year-old primary school teacher responded "yes", which was recorded in the official parliamentary record.
The House of Representatives passed the bill to change the definition of marriage from exclusively between a man and a man to "a union of two people".
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told parliament, just after a round of applause across the chamber and in the public gallery, the legal change belonged to all Australians. All proposed amendments to the bill were knocked back, meaning that marriage equality will become law without special provisions for bakers, florists and civil celebrants to refuse service to same sex marriages.
Not all speeches backed gay marriage, however.
Three charged over murder of Maltese journalist
They were the first arrests in the case, in which the government has been accused of both political interference and incompetence. Malta is now ranked 47th out of 180 countries in RSF's World Press Freedom Index .
"That is why I will support several amendments to the bill which will provide that additional reassurance in respect of their fundamental rights and freedoms", he added.
"We have made sure that we have removed any element of discrimination in this bill while ensuring that religious freedoms are protected", he added.
Further debate on amendments delayed the vote until almost 6pm tonight.
"Australians are sick of excuses and they're sick of delays", Entsch said. Liberal Party member Sarah Henderson teared up as she spoke about her friend gay friend John Parker, who died months earlier and was waiting for the Marriage Act to change.
The only potential obstacle to the law passing on Thursday would be if marriage equality opponents managed to amend the legislation.
- Somewhat Positive News Coverage Somewhat Unlikely to Impact Baidu (BIDU) Share Price
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:APC) Stock Is Shorted More
- World Bank to assist Nigeria in monitoring repatriated $321million Abacha loot
- Besiktas becomes first Turkish team to qualify for Champions League last 16
- Moore police release videos of confrontation with senator at hotel
- Apple planning LCD iPhone with a metal case for 2018
- Blackwater Founder Denies Trump Connection to Seychelles Meeting
- Jets QB Josh McCown named AFC Offensive Player of the Week
- Plane crashes in Chesterfield parking lot
- UN Political Chief Meets N. Korean Foreign Minister on 4-day Trip