Dennis Kabatto, from Sierra Leone, holds the 709-carat diamond as it is presented during a news conference before auction in New York, US, November 21, 2017.
A huge so-called "peace diamond" sold by the government of Sierra Leone to discourage crime-tainted "blood diamonds" fetched $6.5 million on Monday.
Found by a company led by a Christian pastor, the diamond was given to the government in the hopes it would handle the sale in a way that leaves more profits and development potential in Sierra Leone.
The global diamond trading network that handled the auction, the Rapaport Group, said the stone had gone to British billionaire and jeweler, Laurence Graff.
The government is now expected to use the money raised to improve conditions in the village of Koryardu, including the introduction of a fresh supply of water, electricity, roads, medical care and the building and maintenance of schools.
Provident Financial (PFG) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Shore Capital
TRADEMARK VIOLATION NOTICE: This piece was first posted by Dispatch Tribunal and is the sole property of of Dispatch Tribunal. Provident Financial now has an average rating of Hold and a consensus price target of GBX 1,596.31 ($21.38).
In an interview with the BBC, the pastor defended the decision to handover the diamond to the government instead of selling it to middlemen.
The Peace Diamond is on display at the Rapaport Group on December 4, 2017 in midtown NY.
Momoh said he was happy to be in the NY to help negotiate the price for the diamond.
"We showed the diamond everywhere".
The United Nations lifted a ban on diamond exports from Sierra Leone in 2003, though the $113 million sector is plagued by smuggling.
- Vishwas for new AAP with ousted leaders
- Le diamant de la paix aux enchères à New York — Sierra Leone
- Hot Stock for Investors: Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT)
- Marathon Petroleum (MPC) Earns Daily News Impact Score of 0.08
- NNPC: No plan to hike fuel price above N145 per litre
- Google staff set to hunt down extremist YouTube content - CEO
- Engie acquiert Thermaire Investment et Ampair — Afrique du Sud
- La production de House of Cards reprendra début 2018
- Become Human Is Under Fire For Depictions Of Abuse
- Jimmy Kimmel's son has had another heart operation