Air defenses were triggered by a missile attack and people in the capital heard explosions in different areas, the al-Watan online newspaper reported, without providing further details.
In the past, Israel has reportedly carried out attacks against Syrian convoys and installations, in order to prevent Syria from transferring sophisticated weapons to Iran's local proxy Hezbollah.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that the strike was likely carried out by the Israeli military and targeted several government military bases in Al Kiswah on the southwest outskirts of Damascus.
Videos have emerged on social media purporting to show the moment one of the Israeli missiles was intercepted by Syrian Air Defense.
Robert Woods (shoulder) targeting Week 15 return for Rams
Fantasy owners shouldn't bet on any of these guys become factors over the next couple of weeks. It appears the Rams may be without leading receiver Robert Woods at least two more games.
Witnesses told Xinhua that cautious calm prevailed in western Ghouta following the attack, which came hours after rebels downed a Syrian military helicopter there.
Israeli security officials said the drone's operators had deliberately attempted to fly the aircraft across the Israeli border from Syria, but it was shot down without crossing into Israel.
Both the Syrian government and opposition are participating in United Nations (UN)-mediated Syria peace talks in Geneva.
The Syrian government has repeatedly accused Israel of aiding the rebels near the Golan Heights.
- Référendum en Nouvelle-Calédonie : des "enjeux considérables", dit Édouard Philippe
- US Defence Secy Mattis to visit Pakistan
- Michigan's minimum wage to increase 35 cents on January 1
- CAF To Assist Nigeria, Other Africa World Cup Reps With $500k Each
- $0.39 EPS Expected for American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (AEO) This Quarter
- Salman freezes a moment by painting Katrina's portrait on Austria's frozen lake!
- Quantbot Technologies LP Buys New Holdings in Yum! Brands, Inc. (YUM)
- 'The Shape Of Water' Named Palm Springs Fest Vanguard Award Winner
- Berenberg Bank Reiterates Hold Rating for HSBC (HSBA)
- Microsoft Corp (MSFT) Holder Swedbank Cut Its Position by $33.79 Million