It wasn't sue to be switched on until tomorrow, but what has been hailed as an answer to South Australia's energy woes will be up and running as of this morning.
After a week of testing, with the 100MW system being partially charged for the first time on November 24, the Australian Energy Market Operator and South Australian government has given Tesla's energy solution the green light for operation.
Tesla's 100MW/129 megawatt-hour (MWh) Powerpack system, called the Hornsdale Power Reserve, is connected to the French company Neoen-owned Hornsdale Wind Farm, which is South Australia's biggest renewable generator right now. The storage system will help solve power shortages and manage summertime peak load to improve the reliability of South Australia's storm-damaged electrical infrastructure.
The 100MW/129MWh installation, which is the largest lithium-ion storage facility in the world, is apable of powering 30,000 homes for an hour or so, is launching early to help with extreme weather hitting the state today.
Hunter in fatal WNY hunting accident indicted on manslaughter charge
This incident is a tragic reminder of the importance that hunting laws be followed. Responsible hunting is paramount to the safety of anyone enjoying the outdoors.
The Powerpack project cost roughly around $50 million - and Tesla finished around 40 days before the deadline. South Australia's energy plan website says the plan "will transform our energy network to provide reliable 21st century clean energy".
The battery dispatched a maximum of 59 megawatts of power.
Lithium-ion batteries are one of the most energetic rechargeable batteries available.
- Royal Dutch Shell (RDSB) Given "Overweight" Rating at Morgan Stanley
- Health Officials Urge You To Get Your Flu Shot
- Elections en RDC : le Conseil de sécurité ne souhaite plus de report
- Trump donates third-quarter salary to health department
- Recours collectif contre Google au Royaume-Uni — Données personnelles
- United Kingdom watchdog says was too slow to probe HBOS audit
- Roy Moore Blames Liberals, LGBT People For Sexual Abuse Allegations
- Harrison's 2nd annual Christmas Festival & Parade to feature more attractions
- Raptors' Kyle Lowry Had This Hilarious Post-Game Interview With Drake
- David Silva signs new Manchester City contract until 2020