This weekend's Minecon Earth show brought both good news and bad news for fans of the ever-poplar open world building game Minecraft.
During the MineCon Earth 2017 livestream on Saturday, the game's development team revealed a new slew of features coming to the iconic game, including massively expanded oceans complete with dolphins.
The new structures, including shipwrecks and icebergs, will hide treasure, and dolphins will leap from the sea and guide you to that treasure, which is nice of them.
The update will also include new water physics, explorable underwater shipwrecks, oceanic terrain, and tridents, a new combination ranged/melee weapon perfectly suited for the watery depths.
While the new underwater update is no doubt cause for celebration for Minecraft fans, there was one slightly disappointing omission from the announcement, as a delay was announced for the hotly anticipated Super Duper Graphics Pack.
Cyberpunk 2077 dev promises "no bullshit" with its game
This sparked fears that the company would be embracing a "games as service" model involving heavy use of DLC and microtransactions.
In a blog post, the developer wrote: "Not only can this weapon be thrown at enemies and used in close-combat, it can also be enchanted for ace tactical advantages".
An exact release date for "The Update Aquatic" is yet to be announced - just that it will arrive alongside a "future update" for the game. Mojang explains that "there's a lot of work to be done still" so it will not be ready for release this year.
Similarly, a new version of Minecraft for the Nintendo Switch that allows for cross-platform multiplayer is also being delayed until 2018. "We'll be releasing Super Duper next year", the statement reads.
Minecraft's waters are now a bit lifeless: if you're not building an underwater base or raiding an ocean monument then there's little reason to dive below the surface.
- Bosz has two games to save his job at Dortmund
- The Energizer Holdings Inc (ENR) Rating Reiterated by Jefferies Group LLC
- Israel's Netanyahu to face new police questioning over corruption allegations
- Nawaz Sharif holds public meeting in Abbottabad today
- Morrissey has been heavily criticised for his take on the Weinstein/Spacey scandals
- Ubisoft Announces Year 3 Content Coming To Rainbow Six Siege
- Thorson, Jackson lead Northwestern to 39-0 rout Minnesota
- Eagles vs. Cowboys inactives: CB Ronald Darby returns
- Rivlin rejects Hebron shooter Elor Azaria's clemency request
- Previa Necaxa - Morelia: el partido más complicado para Ambriz