Verification has always been perceived as an endorsement.
The move marks the latest skirmish in a debate over speech that has exploded over the past couple years in both online forums like Twitter and those in the real world, like college campuses and city squares, as extremist figures with racially motivated views have increasingly moved into public view.
The new guidelines are clear that the verified status will be withdrawn if the Twitter user's behaviour on and off the platform promoted hate and/or violence against others on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, religious affiliation, age, disability or disease.
Jennifer Hudson and fiancé David Otunga split after 10 years
Contentious: The statement concluded with "Today, Jennifer requested and received a protective order against her ex-fiancé". The exes are parents to their 8-year-old son David Daniel Otunga Jr . and Jennifer is now focused on keeping him safe.
In this photo illustration, The Twitter logo is displayed on a mobile device as the company announced it's initial public offering and debut on the New York Stock Exchange on November 7, 2013 in London, England.
The company also added that they have temporarily the stopped the verification process and have stopped the submission for a new account verification. We should have addressed this earlier but did not prioritize the work as we should have. It noted in its new guidelines that it "reserves the right to remove verification at any time without notice". The company said in an official tweet that they will now be taking a deepThe company over the blue badge enabled profiles and will remove the verified blue badge from the one which doesn't fall under their guidelines of the verified profile.
The decision comes about a week after an uproar that was set off when Twitter gave a verification badge to Kessler. After losing his checkmark, Kessler posted the notification he says Twitter sent him, claiming that the company "changed their verification policy just to be able to censor me".
Twitter's decision to ban Milo Yiannopoulos, a right-wing writer and speaker who once led a karaoke rendition of "America the beautiful" in front of a crowd of people doing Nazi salutes, in 2016 drew the ire of some conservatives at the time.
- Kroger Company (The) (KR) Raised to "Buy" at Northcoast Research
- Russian Federation lists media of possible "foreign agent" status
- Kirsten Gillibrand: Bill Clinton should have resigned over White House affair
- Les grands-parents seraient mauvais pour la santé de leurs petits-enfants
- Manchester United to step up pursuit of Tottenham star
- THQ Nordic acquires Biomutant studio Experiment 101
- MoviePass slashes its prices yet again
- Salvation Army kicks off Angel Tree campaign
- White House to submit $44 billion disaster request
- L'Otan s'excuse après des "incidents" ayant offensé Erdogan