When Dimitrov led 6-0 3-0 and 30-0 on the Goffin serve it seemed he would match one of the myriad records Federer holds - the only "double-bagel" victory achieved in the tournament.
"You get a few days out of the year that whatever you touch turns to gold and that was the first set", Dimitrov said.
Dimitrov rattled through a flawless first set in 27 minutes, losing only 12 points on route, and it took Goffin 48 minutes to win his first game of the contest.
"But I work for those days".
Romelu Lukaku marque l'histoire des Diables Rouges — Belgique
Auteur d'un but contre le Japon, Romelu Lukaku pensait être devenu le meilleur buteur de l'histoire de la sélection belge. L'ancien joueur d'Everton a dépassé les légendes Paul Van Himst et Bernard Voorhoof (30 buts chacun).
"It's just a special win for me". "I'm not here just to participate, I'm here to come out and play a game like that". "It is nice when it comes in such an occasion, I am humbled to win that match". Goffin was just a shadow of a player who toppled Nadal with aggressive tennis, winning just 44% of the points on his serve and making too many errors against the Bulgarian who didn't have to do much against such a bad opponent.
The Bulgarian reeled off the opening nine games without reply in a 6-0 6-2 triumph.
Thiem battled past Pablo Carreno Busta in three sets to keep himself in with a shout of coming up against the Swiss superstar.
Carreno Busta has replaced the injured Nadal in their four-man pool, with the Spanish world No.1's countryman scheduled to play Thiem in the night match later on Wednesday at the indoor O2 Arena.
- Buenos Aires Selected by BIE as Host City for Expo 2023
- Quand Franck Riester reçoit la lettre d'exclusion de... Gérald Darmanin — Les Républicains
- Avec Quantum, le navigateur Firefox joue son va-tout sur la vitesse
- MekaMon is an AR robot that you control using your smartphone
- PH turns over ASEAN chairmanship to Singapore
- Opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan hits record high
- Stock Bulletin: Turquoise Hill Resources Ltd (TRQ)
- NASCAR championship race: Drivers, standings, rules, schedule
- Toshiba sells electronics department to Hisense
- Worldwide coalition: 300 ISIS fighters might have fled from Raqqa