Several U.S. Federal Reserve officials have expected that the central bank would continue gradual interest rate hikes amid low inflation and unemployment rate.
He argued that a spike in demand could push the economy beyond its sustainable capacity, as the economy is nearing full employment.
He added that even if the Fed does managed to return inflation to its 2 percent inflation target, it would not happen before 2018 or 2019.
US inflation expectations edged up again in October, touching their highest level in six months, according to a Federal Reserve Bank of NY survey that could spell some relief for central bankers looking for hints of price pressure.
Lonmin plc (LON:LMI) Given Hold Rating at Peel Hunt
Shares of NEXT plc ( LON NXT ) traded up GBX 4 ($0.05) on Thursday, reaching GBX 4,328 ($56.92). The stock now has a consensus rating of Hold and an average price target of GBX 332.11 ($4.37).
Both gauges have generally slipped since the survey began in mid-2013, covering a period in which spot inflation levels have lingered below a 2-percent Fed target.
"The current level of the policy rate is appropriate given current macroeconomic data", said St. Louis Fed President James Bullard at a forum on Tuesday.
"Inflation data during 2017 have surprised to the downside and call into question the idea that United States inflation is reliably returning toward target", Bullard said in prepared remarks during an appearance in Louisville, Kentucky.
He downplayed the impact of tightening labor market on inflation and said that low unemployment readings were probably not an indicator of meaningfully higher inflation over the forecast horizon. Market investors now widely expected that the central bank would raise interest rates again at the meeting.
- Investors Buy Eli Lilly and Company (LLY) on Weakness After Insider Selling
- American Legion Post holds Veterans Day ceremony
- Church & Dwight Company (CHD) Position Increased by Ubs Asset Management Americas Inc
- Pure Storage, Inc. (PSTG) Expected to Post Earnings of -$0.03 Per Share
- Penserra Capital Management LLC Buys 2178 Shares of Henry Schein, Inc. (HSIC)
- Roy Halladay remembered: Memorial today in Florida
- Children Of Any Age Can Hunt In Wisconsin
- Quand De Rossi refuse de rentrer sur le terrain — Italie-Suède
- You can now grab Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty for free
- Alabama could be home to Toyota/Mazda plant