A 5.4 magnitude quake shook South Korea's southeastern coastal region Wednesday afternoon raising fears North Korea could have launched another missile test.
The seismic intensity was the second biggest in the country's history after the biggest ever quake of 5.8-magnitude hit the Gyeongju city, just south of the Pohang city, in September previous year.
The Korea Meteorological Administration reported a second tremor, with a magnitude of 5.4, about nine kilometers from Pohang.
North Korea and South Korea are located in the region known as the Ring of Fire - which extends around the Pacific Ocean and is a hotspot for quake activity.
The residents of Pohang were told to evacuate, the agency said, adding that reports emerged about buildings shaking following the tremor.
Terex Corporation (TEX) Stake Lessened by Rothschild Investment Corp IL
Bancorp (NYSE:USB), stock is trading $56.61 above the 52-week high and has displayed a high EPS growth of 5.70% in last 5 years. Terex Corporation is a manufacturer of lifting and material processing products and services that deliver lifecycle solutions.
According to local TV footage, some of the buildings saw external wall damaged and window broken.
The weather agency said the seismic center for the initial quake is 36-point-one degrees north latitude and 129-point-37 degrees east longitude.
Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (KHNP) said the six nuclear reactors in Gyeongju, about 45 kilometers south of the epicenter, as well as other reactors on the southeastern coast are all functioning normally.
There are nuclear power plants and industrial facilities in the area.
- Killers, Chainsmokers, Kendrick Lamar top 2018 Hangout lineup
- Kevin Lilliana of Indonesia wins Miss International 2017
- Amber Heard will not label her sexuality
- Jeff Sessions States That Obama-Era Cannabis Policy Will Remain In Effect
- Aden airport receives first commercial flight after Yemen blockade
- Blasts Heard in Zimbabwe Capital as Army Denies Takeover
- Grève de ce jeudi 16 novembre: s'informer sans s'inquiéter
- Banco Bilbao Viscaya Argentaria SA (BBVA) Is It Worthy for Investors?
- Diego Maradona est triste pour l'Italie
- Rotten Tomatoes are delaying the reveal of Justice League's overall score