In a desperate rescue attempt in Indonesia, half a pod of sperm whales have been saved after they beached off the Aceh coast.
Dwi Aryo Tjiptohandono, WWF Indonesia's marine and fisheries campaign coordinator, said the group was investigating how the whales had come to be stranded.
The nine whales were discovered in Ujung Kareng beach of Aceh Besar district at about 9:30 a.m. Monday, said Agus Salim, police chief at Masjid Raya sub-district.
Azerbaijani media distort Iranian official's remarks on Armenia FM's visit to Israel
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan . "I am planning to visit Yerevan and Baku at the beginning of next week.
"We do not know where these whales are coming from and where they are migrating to".
"The strong social bonding of some species of whales can cause mass strandings", according to Project Jonah, a New Zealand-based whale charity. These animals will send out distress signals and members from their pod may attempt to help or mill slightly off-shore.
"The stranded whales were first found by villagers and sailors fishing around the place", he added.
- Female Dem says at least two current members engaged in sexual harassment
- FDA raises concerns about use of kratom for opioid addiction
- Trump to tap ex-pharma executive Azar as U.S. health secretary
- Qatari emir: Boycotting Arab nations don't want to negotiate
- Phishing, keylogger : Google montre que les méthodes classiques de piratage restent efficaces
- TJX Companies sees shares drop as it announces flat store sales
- Thompson nominated for World Rugby Women's Player of the Year
- Duchess of Cambridge's uncle admits punching wife in face
- Nintendo's Mario Brothers To Be Turned Into a Movie
- Israel issues strong warning against Hamas and Islamic Jihad