Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani says the four Arab nations that are boycotting his country don't want to negotiate to end the months long diplomatic crisis that has engulfed Doha.
"We do not fear the boycott of these countries against us, we are a thousand times better off without them", the emir said, adding however that "vigilance is required".
Sheikh Tamim said his country also planned to hold elections for the Shura Council, whose 45 members are now appointed by the emir.
International Monetary Fund upgrades Korea's economic growth outlook
Wrapping up a two-week visit, the International Monetary Fund said it expects Asia's fourth-largest economy to expand 3.2 percent this year, up from its earlier prediction of 3.0 percent.
Sheikh Tamim nonetheless said his government was working on "introducing a number of food security projects" and had "given special attention to water security" as it looked to a future without its former Arab allies.
Qatar's achievements were realized despite the blockading countries making relentless efforts to disrupt and obstruct them by various means, which started with the blockade itself, and included pressure on other countries in addition to even spreading rumors and fabrications, and acting against hosting of the World Cup in 2022 by Qatar, the Emir said in his speech. It shares a major offshore natural gas field with Tehran.
"Qatar has pursued a policy of self-restraint, moderate response, and has risen above all wrangles and misbehavior in respect for our values and norms and out of our keenness to maintain the fraternal relations among the Gulf peoples".
- Xbox One X hits 80,000 United Kingdom sales in first week
- Azerbaijani media distort Iranian official's remarks on Armenia FM's visit to Israel
- Rebekah Vardy completes the 2017 I'm A Celebrity line-up
- Olly Murs and Melanie Skyes are dating
- Duchess of Cambridge's uncle admits punching wife in face
- In an Effort to Combat Dipping Ratings, ESPN Is Heading to Snapchat
- Jason Aldean Initially Thought the Las Vegas Shooting Was a Blown Speaker
- Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth win NTR Award
- Bombardier vend 12 avions CS300 à Egyptair
- Film stars, friends and family remember Paddington Bear author Michael Bond