Root access was still hidden behind a password, but once that was cracked, that developer was able to obtain root access on the phone. Users have discovered that numerous company's phones from the past few years (including the OnePlus 5) include a Qualcomm testing app, EngineerMode, that lets you get root-level access to the phone without having to unlock its bootloader.
This is not the first time that OnePlus has been accused of compromising privacy of its users.
A developer recently discovered that an app installed on OnePlus devices (OnePlus 3, 3T, 5 according to Android Police) called "EngineerMode". The app in question is EngineerMode APK, and it has been developed by Qualcomm for the device manufacturers to test hardware components.
The Engineer Mode APK is capable of diagnosing Global Positioning System, run automated tests, check root status among other things. According to Alderson, the app is installed on some of the OnePlus devices. It is alarming how easily someone can get access to your smartphones in this day and age. The app has the ability to diagnose Global Positioning System, check root status and perform a series of tests.
Le Premier ministre français attendu au Maroc ce mercredi: voici le programme
Après donc le chef de la diplomatie française, Jean Yves le Drian il y a quelques semaines, c'est au tour du premier ministre français de se rendre au Maroc cette semaine.
This exploit is just that, an exploit in the phone's security. However, it also holds a backdoor which is capable of root access, even if the device has not been unlocked.
He further claims that the company has intentionally left the backdoor on their devices.
OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei has acknowledged the issue, and insisted that the company is looking into it. "Thanks for the heads up, we're looking into it", Pei said on Twitter.
Will it affect OnePlus 5T sales? Later, Pei confirmed in a blog post that OnePlus it will scale back on data collection on its devices. Following the allegations, OnePlus took some steps, and added the new "opt-in" option for the user experience program.
- Cochin: Airport authorities detain man after hijack threat
- Oil price drops more than US$1on IEA warning of shrinking demand
- In an Effort to Combat Dipping Ratings, ESPN Is Heading to Snapchat
- Trump to tap ex-pharma executive Azar as U.S. health secretary
- Bombardier vend 12 avions CS300 à Egyptair
- Duchess of Cambridge's uncle admits punching wife in face
- Film stars, friends and family remember Paddington Bear author Michael Bond
- Top Pak Army man says India sabotaging CPEC
- Qualcomm rejects Broadcom acquisition bid
- Kamal Haasan, Rajinikanth win NTR Award