The state says it will provide Campbell a wedge-shaped pillow to lie on to help him breathe as he's put to death.
Alva Campbell, 69, a death row prisoner who has argued he was too ill for lethal injection is slated to die by injection Wednesday.
The inmate has severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder as the result of a decades-long two-pack-a-day smoking habit that finally stopped nine years ago. He also uses a walker, relies on a colostomy bag, requires four breathing treatments daily and may have lung cancer, his attorney claims. They have asked the U.S. Supreme Court to stop Wednesday's execution, because of his poor health, a motion opposed by the state.
The same exam failed to find veins suitable for inserting an IV on either of Campbell's arms.
Dr. James McWeeney noted there were no objective findings such as increased pulse rate or breathing to corroborate Campbell's anxiety. However, he recommended allowing Campbell to lie "in a semi-recumbent position" during the execution. A federal judge ruled out that as an option for Campbell.
Prisons spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said the agency is assessing the inmate's medical condition and history to figure out any necessary accommodations.
Vidya Balan On Why Indian Culture Considers Sex Taboo
No one should be expected to be skinny to be glamorous or be not-glamorous to be taken seriously in women-centric films. Vidya is known for her content-driven films and has always been forthcoming with her own challenge with body weight.
The man was sentenced to die later this week for killing a teenager during a 1997 carjacking. While in a wheelchair, Campbell overpowered the deputy and fled.
Campbell took the deputy's gun, carjacked 18-year-old Charles Dials and drove around with him for several hours before shooting him twice in the head as Dials crouched in the footwell of his own truck, according to court records.
After riding around with Dials in the auto for several hours, Campbell shot the teen twice in the head and tried to kidnap two more people.
The state says the siblings of an OH teen slain during a carjacking two decades ago will witness the execution of their brother's killer.
Campbell's last meal, called a special meal in OH, includes pork chops, greens, sweet potato pie, mashed potatoes and gravy and macaroni and cheese.
On Tuesday, the state said it was starting final preparations for Campbell's execution.
- Brendon Hartley forced to retire at Brazilian Grand Prix
- Gabriel Batistuta: Lionel Messi taking my Argentina record annoyed me
- Aronimink Golf Club lands 2027 PGA Championship, 2020 KPMG Women's PGA
- Niger, Benin pay Fed Govt N19 billion for electricity
- Jerry Jones won't stop fighting owners in Roger Goodell talks
- Traders Secrets on Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX), Citizens Financial Group, Inc. (CFG)
- Venezuela-finally and officially-defaulted on its bonds
- Turkish president visits Kuwait for 'cooperation' talks
- Market turns choppy, trades in loss on inflation fears
- Saad Hariri bientôt de retour au Liban