The link between a very low-calorie diet and the illness was discovered by a team of researchers from Yale University.
One in three Americans will develop type 2 diabetes by 2050, according to recent projections by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
WASHINGTON, D.C.: A United States study released on Thursday (Friday in Manila) last week revealed how a very low-calorie diet can rapidly reverse type 2 diabetes in rats.
A track of the liver metabolic processes showed that it was from a reduction in the conversion of lactate and amino acids into glucose, and a reduction in the rate of liver glycogen conversion to glucose.
Previous reports indicated that type 2 diabetes goes into remission in many patients who undergo bariatric weight-loss surgery, which significantly restricts caloric intake prior to clinically significant weight loss.
Short Interest in American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO) Decreases By 12
Investors are a little more bullish on American Eagle Outfitters of late if you put credence in the decrease in short interest. Prudential Financial Inc.'s holdings in American Eagle Outfitters were worth $28,165,000 as of its most recent SEC filing.
"Using this approach to comprehensively interrogate liver carbohydrate and fat metabolism, we showed that it is a combination of three mechanisms that is responsible for the rapid reversal of hyperglycemia following a very low calorie diet", said senior author Gerald I. Shulman, M.D., the George R. Cowgill Professor of Medicine and Cellular and Molecular Physiology and an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
The results revealed that, although the body weight of rats on the VLCD did not change, the low-calorie diet lowered their blood glucose levels by about 75 mg/dL (4.2 mmol/L) and led to a 50 per cent decrease in their insulin levels on average.
The Yale News said that the next step will be to apply these findings in a human study.
- BJP launches civic election manifesto in UP, promises free WiFi, 'pink toilets'
- Trump asked Xi Jinping to help UCLA basketball players busted shoplifting
- Penn State Hazing Death
- Traffic lights to be installed to ease congestion at busy M62 junction
- Oppo F3 Plus 6GB RAM variant launched: Specs, price and more
- Moon à Manille : forum de l'Asean et sommets bilatéraux ce lundi
- Fernando Torres linked with Rafa Benitez reunion at Newcastle
- Blizzard Confirms Overwatch Will Get 4K Enhancements for the Xbox One X
- Trump si sfoga: "Perché Kim mi chiama vecchio?"
- Disneyland Shuts Down Cooling Towers After 9 Guests Contract Legionnaire's Disease